Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban LTZ cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2012, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I register in this forum to thank you guys for the solving of my problem in my Tahoe 2009 LS. I bought this Tahoe recently and after some time around 1 week the cruise control went out. I searched all over the internet and found this forum. I bought the sensor 15861245 from local GM motor with 22$ and change it my self. it takes about 15 min. to solve this issue. and now the cruise control come back.

Thanks again for save me couple of hundred of dollars
Old October 7th, 2012, 2:13 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Glad you found the information you needed and thanks for the follow up and part number... you just may save someone else some time and money too
Old December 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up 07 burb with cruise control issue

I was having intermittent issues with my cruise control on my 07 burb, replaced the brake light switch and the problem went away.

I determined it was the brake light switch because of the cruise didn't set when attempted, I would rap the side of the brake pedal with my foot until the cruise control would engage. Systematic troubleshooting!

I purchased a brake light switch from GMPartsDirect.com part #25981009, cost was $10.00. Well worth trying before paying the big bucks at a dealer.

Changed out the switch myself and have had no problems for two months now.

PS - Luv the ride!
Old December 20th, 2012, 6:41 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the info.
Old May 30th, 2013, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, just bought an '08 tahoe ltz a couple days ago and the cruise control wasn't working (light would come on on the steering wheel but wouldn't engage). Came here to find this write up (thanks) and fixed it yesterday.

Just wanted to add a couple things, taking the clip off was the biggest rate limiting step to the process. Here's a breakdown.

1. Buy new gm part #25981009 from the dealership ($22.xx after tax), it was $10 online but shipping was like 13 bucks.
2. Take off 10mm bolt
3. Take clip off. To do this, you pry up on the middle part of the clip, shown in airspeed's third pic, while pushing upward on the clip. This will slide it up and you can now pull it off.
4. Unhook the electrical connecter and wiggle the switch out.
5. Put in the new switch and button everything back up. Took me about 20 minutes, 95% of which was dedicated to figuring out how to take off the clip.

Thanks again guys, hope this helps people in the future.
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Slackst3r
Hello all,

My cruise has not worked for some time now. I have checked all fuses that seem to be associated with process and they are fine. The light on the steering wheel comes on, but the indicator on the instrument panel never lights up and the car never actually goes into cruise control. Before I bring it in, I wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions. I searched the forum but could not find any answers.

Also, the remote starter does not work, even after changing the key. Checked the fuses on this as well. I am not sure if it is the same problem as the cruise, or if they are separate, but it may help someone to diagnose the problem. Thanks guys.
I just fixed my 08 Silverado with the same issue. Advance auto has the brake switch for $12, auto zone is $18. It takes about 20 min to swap the switch which is located above the brake pedal. Make sure you get the higher switch, not the think attached to the top of the pedal. The clip is a little difficult to pop off. I could do another one in 5 min.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to rehash an old thread…

Followed the instructions in this thread and fixed my 2009 Suburban! Took about 20 min (because of the clip). Thanks for all the info.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Help!

I read this whole thread, bought the sensor and replaced it.... It did not fix my cruise control and now my break light will not turn off unless my truck (2008 Chevrolet Silverado) is turned off. When I removed the old sensor there was a lot of grease on it.. I cleaned it all up and did not regrease... Could this be the issue? I live in a small town and the closest dealership is 2 hours away. Our local Ford dealership did not want to help me in the first place so I tried this instead. I only had the issue of the cruise control not engaging even though the light in the steering wheel turned on. If I have to take it to the dealership I will but I really would rather not lol
Old July 22nd, 2014, 7:43 PM
CF Junior Member

It's not a sensor, it's a switch. Are you sure you replaced the right part? There is no grease on the switch unless you open it up. There is another part that is right near the switch that is about the same size. I nearly pulled that part out when I replaced my switch.

Last edited by suburbansr4me; July 23rd, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default cruise control problem.

Hey Slackst3r, try replacing the brake light switch on the brake pedal. There is a N\C contact in the switch that is part of the cruise circuit. The switch is not much money, quick and easy to replace. My cruise was intermittent in operation until I changed the switch now works great.

Originally Posted by Slackst3r
Hello all,

My cruise has not worked for some time now. I have checked all fuses that seem to be associated with process and they are fine. The light on the steering wheel comes on, but the indicator on the instrument panel never lights up and the car never actually goes into cruise control. Before I bring it in, I wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions. I searched the forum but could not find any answers.

Also, the remote starter does not work, even after changing the key. Checked the fuses on this as well. I am not sure if it is the same problem as the cruise, or if they are separate, but it may help someone to diagnose the problem. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 2008 Suburban LTZ cruise control problem