Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 suburban ltz engine swap

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2017, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Texas Speed and tell them what you have and they will price it out for you. You will be surprised at how cheap it will be. You can find 5.3 for pretty good prices as well on Car-Part.com. You can get everything done for about 3k. If your budget is 6k you can always get a complete long block and be good to go. AFM is the biggest issue. You can alway get the updated Oil pan and valve covers to fixed the other issues while the motor is out. Thank you for your service.
On Edit: If I remember correctly you can keep your tranny if you do a 6.0 or 6.2 engine swap.

Last edited by sfcjones; May 26th, 2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Typerod
If it was me in your situation, I would think of swapping in a Duramax engine into it. There is a company called Duraburb in Florida, who do the swaps. Search on youtube for them, then have videos posted of some of the vehicles they have done.

I'm not affiliated with them at all. They would be my go to guys for a Duramax swap into my 07 Tahoe.

Good luck!
That would be Eric Swanson, Owner of Duraburb Inc. The cost of putting a Diesel in is a bout 10-11k. If I had the extra money I would do it in a heart beat...
Old January 7th, 2020, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you end up doing

Originally Posted by Mikeaj
Here's the scenario... I've owned 4 suburban all with quirks, especially my 2004 that I had the pleasure of spending many hours replacing all of the defective brake lines in my driveway in the middle of winter. But the motors always went well over several hundred thousands if miles. That is till this one, and I'm bummed. I bought my new one with 125,000 miles and it seems the engine crapped out. Lifter tick turned into some oil pressure issues, and you guessed it... no compression In number 6 cylinder and drives like junk and blows oil smoke out the back, and christmas tree worth of lights on in dash from it.I have the all aluminum 5.3l Lc9 and I've read about the AND issues and piston ring thing too. I doubt the motor was taken care of so I'm thinking of replacing it. What is the biggest and nicest, most dependable motor I can put in one time? At this point I want more horsepower and something ultra dependable, maybe with VVT if possible. I'm open for the best suggestion out there from experienced people. Basically what the hell do I do that is the best fix? I am doing this myself and I'm in the military and home now but not for long and don't need my wife and kids stranded. Any advice is very appreciated.

what did you end up replacing the old 5.3 with ?