Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe- Hub Assembly or CV Axle issue?

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2019, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Tahoe- Hub Assembly or CV Axle issue?

Had my Tahoe checked out a few months ago and they told me I’d have to replace the hub assemblies soon. Long story short, I had to pull over and park it in a CVS parking lot the other day. After jacking it up and wiggling the front passenger wheel back and forth to test my theory, there was a ton of play. Got the replacement hub assembly and went to work. After getting the tire off and going after the axle nut, I found that the nut can’t be taken off. The entire CV axle spins freely when attempting to take the nut off.

I’m a ‘YouTube mechanic’ and after checking back several of the videos I watched on the hub assembly install, I see that it’s not supposed to spin like that. Am I correct in assuming the CV axle needs to replaced as well?
Old March 31st, 2019, 2:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

Crack the nut while the vehicle is still on the ground.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:39 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

is the hub spinning also or just the cv axle? impact wrench really help or like mountain said you might have put the wheel or spare back on and put the vehicle weight back on it to hold it in place
Old April 16th, 2019, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meant to update sooner. For the next guy... I let it go too long. The hub was cracked in half. I dropped it to get the axle nut, went through three different sockets and finally cracked it using a pipe for leverage. Pro tip from a rookie... USE. LEVERAGE. The swap was the easiest part. Checked the CV axles while I had it open and the boots were fine. Changed both just to be safe. All good.