Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Chevy Suburban belts,starter,enginemount

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015, 1:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Suburban belts,starter,enginemount

I've got a 2009 chevy suburban with about 105,000 miles on it.

A few things are going on

1. When at a stopped position (in drive), and i step on the gas, the truck jerks, meaning it feels like the engine is moving. I was told that an engine mount is needed as one of them is broken
2. When coasting from 50-45 mph (as the truck begins to slow down), the truck will shift weird, almost like the trans shifts a bit harder than it should and you can def feel it. It does not happen often and ive tried to create a pattern but unable to do so. (In aug 2014, i had the fuel pump replaced when originally noticing the problem. the dealer told me that there wasnt enough fuel getting into the engine so luckily i still had power train warranty so it didnt cost me anything.)

3. The truck lags a bit when starting it up. I've had the battery replaced with an OEM AC Delco battery just under a year ago. when going back to the dealer and telling them about the startup issue, they claim it could be a starter issue. do starter's go bad on these trucks?

Anyhow - with all of that being said, i've received prices for work needing to be done from my local chevy dealer and local goodyear shop.

Question --> is there a difference (aside from price) in getting belts, coolant, power steering, brake and coolant flushes,wires,plugs,etc. replaced at the dealer vs a goodyear shop?
Old September 21st, 2015, 5:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Take your truck to whatever mechanic you trust. For me, trust is more important than price. That being said, I've never trusted a dealer. The only thing they've ever done on my trucks is service the transmissions. Everything else is done elsewhere.

If you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, several of the jobs you list are easy, even for a novice.

The belts are easy enough to do do yourself. All you need is a socket and long breaker bar. I actually bought the belt tensioner tool kit for ~$30 at the local auto parts store. It's paid for itself 10-fold.

Wires and plugs are also simple enough to do yourself. Not like the old days where you had to worry about screwing up the firing order and the plug wires off the distributor.

I've never flushed the power steering in any of my trucks, including my hydroboosted truck. It's not even listed in the maintenance schedule on my two GMT900 trucks. I guess if it smells or looks bad, change it. But I've never had any power steering issues.

I'm not aware of any issues with starter motors on these trucks. What do you mean by lag? Extended crank time? Sputters after cranking?
Old September 22nd, 2015, 8:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

its all depends on the skill of the tech working on the car. Not all techs at dealerships are master techs. Some independent techs are ex dealer trained and are very smart. generally, dealer techs know there product better. its all depends on their training. There is a lack of training in the entire trade. people do not want to put the effort required to keep current on new technology.

Aftermarket parts are cheaper but they are not even close to quality of oem. i would only use them on something i plan to sell.

aftermarket belts suck, get delco or they will be squeaking within a year

why cheap out on coolant, get the proper dexcool and you know its compatible.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the truck in today to have it checked out. The tech gets into my truck, starts it, puts the emer. brake on, puts it in drive, pushes on the gas pedal the whole engine moved upward. I could not believe it. This would explain the "jerk" that I feel when hitting the gas from a stopped position. I'm having that fixed today

Prices for belts were about the same - both at the dealer and goodyear. So since I'm having the engine mount replaced, i'll also do the belts there too. Regarding the starter - it seems that there is a bit of lag or a small delay when starting the truck. I noticed it several months ago and was told the battery needed to be replaced. Since the battery was replaced, it has not been an issue, but I would say within the last few weeks I've noticed a difference in the way it starts. Goodyear told me that it is rare to replace a starter in an 09 suburban. Suprisingly, the dealer wanted less for a new starter vs goodyear.