Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

2009 suburban towing update

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2013, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 suburban towing update

Hello all,
Just got back from a 2 week 3010 mile trip with 2674 miles of it towing a 30' travel trailer weighing in at about 6800lbs. The trip was from San Antonio, Texas to Anaheim, California then to Oceanside, California, after that off to Balmorhea, Texas, then home. The toughest parts of the whole trip were the grade in Sierra Blanca, Texas, The pass near Thousand Palms California, and the grade on HWY 8 from El Cajon to Ocotillo California. Thousand Palms was really bad because of the headwind we got the second highest trans temp there at 235 degrees with an outside air temp of 106, the highest trans temp we reached (242 outside temp of 110) was on HWY 8 in El Cajon I did not think that hill was ever going to end. I was really impressed the suburban ran nice and cool in 116 degrees from Tucson to Palm Springs. MPGs pulling averaged about 9.9 at about 60mph and 2500rpm. However, the last two fill-ups from Balmorhea to home we averaged about 6.7 mpg at about 70mph and 3000rpms. I know I pushed it hard the last bit. Now to give her a few days off then change all the fluids and flush the tranny.
Old July 15th, 2013, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Did you use your AC while towing?
Old July 15th, 2013, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes, the only time we had any issues was in Pheonix 119 degrees and the sun beating in the front window we had to put the sun shade on the dash for about an hour of the drive until the sun got higher and was not comming right in the windshield. the kids in the back were freezing but the front seats were hot even the seat coolers were not helping. Time to tint the windshield.

Last edited by Blue Dog; July 15th, 2013 at 2:28 PM. Reason: info
Old July 15th, 2013, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

I never use the AC when towing with my 2002 Tahoe (26 foot travel trailer). It seems to suck too much power and of course it makes the MPG even worse. But, I also dont have to deal with temps that high!
Old July 15th, 2013, 9:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

I found that the 1500 Suburban towed a well as my F250 with the 6.0l Diesel through the hills, flat land the diesel would out pull the burb. That 6.0l would have puked then blew both head gaskets going through the pass at Ocotillo if I tryied to do over 40mph for sure (I know because it did that going through Kerville). Now that I have replaced the 6.0l with a Cummins I have not tried to pull the trailer yet (still working out the bugs) but from now on the long hilly trips will be left to the Fummins even though it is not nearly as comfortable as the Suburban. The Suburban, I will use for local towing (4 hours or less trips) and flat land trips.
Old July 16th, 2013, 8:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when towing my bigger boat (total 5,000 lbs) and have the burb loaded up with all the luggage and family going to NH, 5 hour trip, the only prob I have is one big hill in VT. I can do 70 just fine, but its in 2nd gear @ 4500 rpm. Boy it gets loud and annoying. I passed a ford f150 carrying a small load of wood with ease lol.

Also, sweet upgrade, got rid of the powerjoke and got a true diesel, a Cummins! Should haul *ss compared to the 6.0l
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blue Dog
Hello all,
Just got back from a 2 week 3010 mile trip with 2674 miles of it towing a 30' travel trailer weighing in at about 6800lbs. The trip was from San Antonio, Texas to Anaheim, California then to Oceanside, California, after that off to Balmorhea, Texas, then home. The toughest parts of the whole trip were the grade in Sierra Blanca, Texas, The pass near Thousand Palms California, and the grade on HWY 8 from El Cajon to Ocotillo California. Thousand Palms was really bad because of the headwind we got the second highest trans temp there at 235 degrees with an outside air temp of 106, the highest trans temp we reached (242 outside temp of 110) was on HWY 8 in El Cajon I did not think that hill was ever going to end. I was really impressed the suburban ran nice and cool in 116 degrees from Tucson to Palm Springs. MPGs pulling averaged about 9.9 at about 60mph and 2500rpm. However, the last two fill-ups from Balmorhea to home we averaged about 6.7 mpg at about 70mph and 3000rpms. I know I pushed it hard the last bit. Now to give her a few days off then change all the fluids and flush the tranny.
You have about the same towing weight and trailer length I have with same burb, can you tell me how you setup your weight distribution, do you do it with truck on or do you turn it off while connecting the weight distribution (assuming you use one). I have researched and both ways are recommended by different people, wondering since you seem to have no problem which is your preferred way.
Old July 17th, 2013, 3:16 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Indeed, thanks for the update do you have the aux trans cooler?

Never could understand why auto manufactures don't apply a UV coating to the front glass... there has to be something that can be applied that won't interfere with vision night or day but will help block the heat..

Love those cool waters of Balmorhea SP ever do Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory? We did a similar trip a couple years back.. took I-10 all the way to Anaheim (Disney Land) but we came back via I-40 for a different view on the return
Old July 18th, 2013, 7:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 burb had a slightly tinted windshield with a tall blue strip at the top. Loved it. I really miss that in my 07. Also, the sun visers, my 02 when pulled them down and put them to the side there was a smaller secondary one to fold down as well. That really helped with long road trips because of the twisty roads, I hate d*cking around with the stupid design of the 07. So just bought good sunglasses. Boy, gm really took away some great features for their newer burbs...

Quick Reply: 2009 suburban towing update