Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 tahoe hybrid surging!!!!!!! need help

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2020, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2009 tahoe hybrid surging!!!!!!! need help

hey guys need your help i know there's plenty of people that have experienced the same thing but im at a lost,hopefully someone has a def answer about this problem. everyday now i get a surge,like a stumble off the line from hybrid to gas where the gas just wins,but it shakes the truck hard,other time the truck has launched forward while breaking going into hybrid mode.this happens everyday at any given temp or day,cold or hot doesn't matter.there are zero codes showing up on scanner or dash.my truck is in mint condition i keep her super clean and always well maintained.Plugs are changed,oil pressure solid.trans fluid on point but still no clue.a lot of people talk about the aux trans pump which i cant even find no where online,or even a used one.im just at a loss and ill have to get rid of her because im scared it will get someone hurt.my mechanic has no clue only knows what he read online which other people have had similar issues,GM there mechanics know nothing,there all just part re placers or wont look at it unless its has codes,and the truck is up to date in software PLEASE ANYONE KNOW WHAT TO DO??????
Old May 26th, 2020, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

there have been some cases of vehicle lurching forward when coming to a stop and setting code p2797. the trans fluid level should be checked. the auxiliary transmission fluid pump is to be tested and a build date code should be inspected for 089-11-XXXX and replaced if matches. its bolted to the bottom of the trans pan.

not many techs have hybrid experience...most are at big city dealerships (dealerships must have 2 hybrid trained techs if they want to sell hybrids) and even then, they may not see many hybrids. before dropping a hybrid off...ask the shop foreman some hard questions as to whether this is up their alley.
Old May 27th, 2020, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

thx you very much a start at least ill have it check thx you
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Surging issue

Originally Posted by tech2
there have been some cases of vehicle lurching forward when coming to a stop and setting code p2797. the trans fluid level should be checked. the auxiliary transmission fluid pump is to be tested and a build date code should be inspected for 089-11-XXXX and replaced if matches. its bolted to the bottom of the trans pan.

not many techs have hybrid experience...most are at big city dealerships (dealerships must have 2 hybrid trained techs if they want to sell hybrids) and even then, they may not see many hybrids. before dropping a hybrid off...ask the shop foreman some hard questions as to whether this is up their alley.

I have a similar surging issue. If my pump has that batch number and is needing replaced is this a factory covered repair or is this an additional expense for my pocket like so many before this? Also any idea on the cost?
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy hybrid techs

You mentioned dealerships need 2 techs? I have been taking my Tahoe to Shultz Chevy in jamestown NY for a couple years now and to the nest of my knowledge they only have 1 tech to work on my truck.

Last edited by tech2; May 17th, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old May 17th, 2021, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

i figured out my prob was the pump,as soon as i changed it its never done it since,.its been months.
Old May 17th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Davids
You mentioned dealerships need 2 techs? I have been taking my Tahoe to Shultz Chevy in jamestown NY for a couple years now and to the nest of my knowledge they only have 1 tech to work on my truck.
what happens if the tech working on your truck is hit with 300volts...you don't want an untrained person trying to rescue
Old August 15th, 2023, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Steve Pontarelli
i figured out my prob was the pump,as soon as i changed it its never done it since,.its been months.
Steve, What did the pump cost and did you put it on yourself. Is it easy enough for a basic House mechanic.
Old August 16th, 2023, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BamaDawg77
Steve, What did the pump cost and did you put it on yourself. Is it easy enough for a basic House mechanic.
it was around 300$ took literally 20 min and just two bolts,you'll need some transmission fluid to top it off after because you'll lose some,super simple