Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Tahoe LTZ 4wd Question

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2011, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Tahoe LTZ 4wd Question

In 4wd low at a slow speed my truck shifts up to second smoothly, but as I release the pedal and coast, or apply the brakes, it shifts down hard back to 1st, giving me a slight head jerk. It doesn't happen in 2wd or 4wd high, just on the deceleration of 4wd low. Has anyone else experienced this? It shifts up a gear around 2k rpm, around 1k or 1.5k rpm as I'm slowing down, it suddenly drops to .5k rpm. Could this be an electronic problem, or is it normal? A friend of mine says that it "seems" a little rough on the tranny for being a new truck, but he admitted he doesn't have experience with Chevy vehicles.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm new to this forum
Old January 3rd, 2011, 8:23 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think I've ever gone fast enuf in 4WD Lo to shift into 2nd.
Old January 4th, 2011, 7:05 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4 low

that actually sounds normal... in 4 low you have a lot of gearing going both ways.

when it shifts into 1st from 2nd it will slow you down A LOT... this is normal.

what are you using 4 low for? I have an '09 LTZ and don't think I've used low other than to see if it worked once in almost 3 years now...

I used 4-low in my Jeep all the time off road...
Old January 4th, 2011, 8:44 AM
CF Active Member

its normal. I was playing a lot in snow after snow blizzard in NJ My Burb surprised me in one thing. When i was almost stuck in snow and try to back up, my wheels stop and engine start going hard, like there was not power enough to spin wheels. LOL. My traction was off, 4H and tow mode ON and it happen too many times.
But anyway, i was able to go almost anywhere with my brand new snow tires This car is a Tank heheh. I own Land rover Defender 110 and burb remind me old good days driving offroad on Defender
Old January 4th, 2011, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
that actually sounds normal... in 4 low you have a lot of gearing going both ways.

when it shifts into 1st from 2nd it will slow you down A LOT... this is normal.

what are you using 4 low for? I have an '09 LTZ and don't think I've used low other than to see if it worked once in almost 3 years now...

I used 4-low in my Jeep all the time off road...
Thanks guys. I was in the snow and have never used Low before. Kind of how SabrTooth was checking to see if it still worked, I was just messing with it to see how it felt. I hadn't put it in Low since I bought it. I put it into 4wd High after a bit and that was fine for the conditions I was in. Just an icy/snowy road, not even off-road. I'm not too woried about it, but I just wanted to make sure that it was normal. Thanks again