Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Tahoe: Time to drill some holes...

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 8:14 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 Tahoe: Time to drill some holes...

So.. I now have an 09 tahoe... and when its parked in my driveway, it sits nose down.

when it rains or I wash it, water pools on the back bumper on the far left and far right.

has anyone drilled a 1/4" or smaller hole in the very corner?

This isn't my truck in the photo; but its obviously similar.

red holes is where I'm talking about

this would let the water drain, and i don't think a tiny hole would make it fall off...

under it / opposite is dead air space, so the water would just fall to the ground...

I dont think anyone would 'notice' such small holes in plastic, plus when the tailgate is closed there is no WAY to see them.

Also, in the photo is an 08... my backup lights look way bigger... did they change the backup lights in the 09?

Also, I read a lot of people not liking the 'GPS nag screen'.. my manual says it only displays every 50 starts... which is 100 billion times better than every start! my current GPS does that and drives me nuts! it never times out! it will just sit there until you click 'i will not sue you for trying to drive across a lake because the GPS told me to'...
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Tahoe: Time to drill some holes...-rear.jpg  
Old May 13th, 2009, 3:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drilling holes in both corners is one of the very first things I did. I drilled 3/8" holes and it is only plastic, the rear hatch covers them when closed.
Old May 13th, 2009, 9:30 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Back into your driveway.
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a problem I have with my Moms Envoy. It naturally falls to me to keep it clean, and every time I wash it, the water ponds on the bumper just like you said.
I have two sponges which I cram under the both corners of the hatch to keep it from puddling.
It looks like there should be drain holes of some sort to dash the water off the bumper, but no...
Old May 14th, 2009, 8:48 AM
CF Addict

Default holes

yea I can sponge/ shammy it out; but now that I know someone else had the idea too; I will just drill the holes tonight... thanks!
Old May 15th, 2009, 1:11 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

At least this water is easy to get to. What bugs me is all of the places around the grill and window trim that retain water 'til you drive off and then it blows all over the sides, roof, and gate. Only fix I've found that doesn't involve compressed air is to wick it out w/ a towel. Yuck.
Old May 15th, 2009, 1:13 PM
CF Addict

Default washing

yea every vehicle has its nooks and crannies to dry out; my 1995 however was way worse... they really 'tightend' up the newer one, hand drying it actually isn't that bad... but yea the front drips a bit... and the rear windows have no drains except down the side of the nice clean black truck