Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2010 LTZ Tahoe Vigration and Cold Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2013, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 LTZ Tahoe Vigration and Cold Start Issues

I love my 2010 LTZ Tahoe, but there are a couple of things that I want to check on before the warranty ends later this year:

1. There is a noticeable vibration at low speeds and under very slight acceleration conditions. When the vibration occurs, I am usually slightly accelerating and the AFM (Active Fuel Management) will show as being in V4 mode. If you hit the gas, the vibration goes away and the truck accelerates normally. I am wondering if this is normal? In a Nov 2012 letter, GM states that your Tahoe "may have a condition in which normal engine vibration wile in AFM mode may cause the transmission dipstick to fatigue and fracture". GM wants to replace the dipstick to prevent fracture. In any event, they make it sound normal to have the vibration. In a more recent letter, GM indicates that my Tahoe "may have a condition where the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough." Are these issues related? The vibrations bug me because a 50K + newer car should not vibrate under any type of acceleration conditions.<O

2. My Tahoe also does not seem to like the cold. In the winter, when the truck has sat (outside in cold temps), it doesn't seem to start normal. Best way to describe it is a slightly fatigued start. There is a slight pause before the engine fully turns over and then the truck seems to start with a little more force than usual. It’s not like it has to crank several times to start. It is just a slight pause and then a slightly more forceful start. Wondering if this is normal.

3. Of much less importance is the fact that a rear speaker rapidly ticks upon cold start (in the winter and under cold outside temps). I can get the tick to go away by hitting the roof (inside of truck) or it will go away on its own in a minute or two when the inside of truck warms up a bit. Probably nothing more than an annoyance, but still wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for any info you can provide on these issues.<O</O
Old January 6th, 2013, 2:07 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum

As for the cold start, might want to have the battery checked, the Tahoe battery seems to be under rated for the demands on it and and the cold doesn't help... seems like the life for this is about 2 years... its a easy place to start...

As for the 50k+ Google Maserati and start to type the letter "T" and see how many Maserati transmission problems come up... and that's $130K+
Old January 6th, 2013, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm on 37 months now and living on borrowed time. Leave key on, engine off and it'll shut down in about a minute. By comparison, my '07 battery gave up after tow years.
Old January 11th, 2013, 2:48 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rubinjos
I love my 2010 LTZ Tahoe, but there are a couple of things that I want to check on before the warranty ends later this year:

1. There is a noticeable vibration at low speeds and under very slight acceleration conditions. When the vibration occurs, I am usually slightly accelerating and the AFM (Active Fuel Management) will show as being in V4 mode. If you hit the gas, the vibration goes away and the truck accelerates normally. I am wondering if this is normal? In a Nov 2012 letter, GM states that your Tahoe "may have a condition in which normal engine vibration wile in AFM mode may cause the transmission dipstick to fatigue and fracture". GM wants to replace the dipstick to prevent fracture. In any event, they make it sound normal to have the vibration. In a more recent letter, GM indicates that my Tahoe "may have a condition where the throttle position sensor may cause the engine to run rough." Are these issues related? The vibrations bug me because a 50K + newer car should not vibrate under any type of acceleration conditions.<o </o

2. My Tahoe also does not seem to like the cold. In the winter, when the truck has sat (outside in cold temps), it doesn't seem to start normal. Best way to describe it is a slightly fatigued start. There is a slight pause before the engine fully turns over and then the truck seems to start with a little more force than usual. It’s not like it has to crank several times to start. It is just a slight pause and then a slightly more forceful start. Wondering if this is normal.

3. Of much less importance is the fact that a rear speaker rapidly ticks upon cold start (in the winter and under cold outside temps). I can get the tick to go away by hitting the roof (inside of truck) or it will go away on its own in a minute or two when the inside of truck warms up a bit. Probably nothing more than an annoyance, but still wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks for any info you can provide on these issues.<o</o
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rubinjos,

The sensor could be part of the rough idle condition you are experiencing. I agree with “in2pro” regarding the battery may be an issue in regards to starting. Lastly, the speaker sounds like a connection issue.

I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an inspection and official diagnosis.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service