Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 ltz suburban A/C compressor not engaging

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2021, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ltz suburban A/C compressor not engaging

Can somebody please help I've got a 2011 suburban system is charged but compressor won't engage its not getting signal to relay I can ground the trigger side of relay and it will engage

I can only find 1 pressure switch which is in the small line near the compressor it has 3 wires
Old March 30th, 2021, 9:16 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts

In my '11 Tahoe the HVAC module talks to the ECM . Low pressure cutoff reports to the ECM. ECM grounds the A/C compressor relay to activate it. That's what the schematic shows for my Tahoe. Have you done a full code scan, all 4 code families as just P codes will not show any HVAC or module communication issues as there may be a code helping to point the way.
Could be a dirty connection or ground issue, but knowing what a full scan shows is the first step.
There is also a evaporator temp. sensor that reports to the HVAC module.
Get a full code scan would be my best advise as that's what the dealer would do as the first step.

Last edited by repairman54; March 30th, 2021 at 9:19 AM.
Old March 30th, 2021, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks I have a harbor freight code reader that’s not showing any codes but have not had a real scan done I may take it to the dealer in few days and let them scan it
Old March 30th, 2021, 8:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

+1
the must be a inhibit reason for the pcm to not grd the relay.
how did you confirm the system is charged the correct amount?
Old March 30th, 2021, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
+1
the must be a inhibit reason for the pcm to not grd the relay.
how did you confirm the system is charged the correct amount?
I crossed out the relay engaging the compressor and had gauges on the system I don't remember the numbers now but was with in spec
Old March 30th, 2021, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

pressure is not the most accurate way to determine charge level as its temp dependant. does your scan tool show a voltage for the pressure sensor? if yes...what is it.

so i'm confused....the pcm is grding the relay and t urning on the compressor or not? you providing the grd confirms the compressor, relay and all wiring except the grd control are good. the grd wire to the pcm and pcm control are still not known.
Old March 31st, 2021, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

No the ecm is not turning on the compressor

and no my cheap scan tool doesn’t show voltage from the pressure sensor

but you have gave me some more things to check I didn’t realize the ecm was what tells it to turn on I’ve always worked on older vehicles that has low pressure cycling switch
Old March 31st, 2021, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
pressure is not the most accurate way to determine charge level as its temp dependant. does your scan tool show a voltage for the pressure sensor? if yes...what is it.

so i'm confused....the pcm is grding the relay and t urning on the compressor or not? you providing the grd confirms the compressor, relay and all wiring except the grd control are good. the grd wire to the pcm and pcm control are still not known.

I did lil more messing with it today and I’m getting power on 1 wire going into the pressure switch and the other 2 wires are grounded which I thought only 1 should be grounded
Old March 31st, 2021, 9:31 PM
Super Moderator

it probably correct. unplugged 5 on ref. o signal o grd
Old March 31st, 2021, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

I only had a test light but it showed same with sensor connected or disconnected

Quick Reply: 2011 ltz suburban A/C compressor not engaging