Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 New Suburban purchase Q&A

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 New Suburban purchase Q&A

My first post here. I'm looking to buy a 2011 1/2 ton (1500) LTZ for the wife soon, maybe for Christmas. Any tips, tricks and pricing info that I can use to get a good deal with the least agravation?

Also, if you have any feedback on options to get or avoid that would be helpful too. The current config I'm looking at is:

1/2 Ton LTZ
Black on Black
HD trailer package
Trailer brake controller (I've seen some data online that its included with the HD trailer package and some not)
20" Chrome wheel upgrade
Sun, Entertainment, Destinations package (sun roof, nav radio, rear seat video, etc.)

How well does the engine block heater work?
How is the quality of the rubber floor and cargo mats?
Alarm/theft deterent wheel, worth the money or go aftermarket?

THanks
Old December 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tips

my only tip is that a 2010 would be almost $14,000 cheaper
Old December 1st, 2010, 1:14 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

NukeEm: Welcome to the forum.

Cheapest deal: employee discount. Next cheapest: supplier discount which if you know anyone that's eligible for one, they can usually transfer it. Last is make an offer that's reasonable and be prepared to walk if not accepted.

The first two only work if you're ordering.

Re: block heater. It doesn't take much. When I lived in Mpls, I laid a 100W bulb on the intake manifold w/ the car in an unheated, uninsulated garage and even on 30* below nites, the car started right up.

Recommend looking at aftermarket mats, not because the GM ones aren't any good, but folks like WeatherTech make good ones for less. Just saying, check around.

Which chrome wheels are you getting? Factory ones come w/ locks. But let's face reality, if the bad guys want your ride or wheels, they're going to take it.
Old December 1st, 2010, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by NukeThemTillTheyGlow
My first post here. I'm looking to buy a 2011 1/2 ton (1500) LTZ for the wife soon, maybe for Christmas. Any tips, tricks and pricing info that I can use to get a good deal with the least agravation?

Also, if you have any feedback on options to get or avoid that would be helpful too. The current config I'm looking at is:

1/2 Ton LTZ
Black on Black
HD trailer package
Trailer brake controller (I've seen some data online that its included with the HD trailer package and some not)
20" Chrome wheel upgrade
Sun, Entertainment, Destinations package (sun roof, nav radio, rear seat video, etc.)

How well does the engine block heater work?
How is the quality of the rubber floor and cargo mats?
Alarm/theft deterent wheel, worth the money or go aftermarket?

THanks
I am in the market for a very simular vehicle for a very simular driver (wife). We hope to take delivery next Thursday. 2010 Suburban LTZ with Sun, Entertainment and Destination, heavy duty trailer package (electric brake is not included), 3rd row DVD screen, 20" chrome clad, and side blind zone mirrors. I am having the dealer install the 2 way advanced remote, theft deterrent, and shock sensor (Detroit is too close).
I am out the door price just over $12,000 less than MSRP.

Now I need to get the GMX550 lockpick.
Old December 1st, 2010, 2:41 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a 2011 Tahoe LTZ. I managed to get 10% off MSRP PLUS rebates but you probably won't get that good. I ordered my Hoe in mid June before the dealer even had 2011 pricing. The dealer said he would order a "stock" vehicle like I wanted with no obligation and give me $3500 off plus any rebates at the time it came in. The vehicle came in just as the dealer was running a Labor Day 10% off MSRP PLUS rebates on any Chevy in stock sale. 10% off a 25K vehicle is an OK deal but he had to give me the same 10% off a upper 50K vehicle since mine was a "stock" vehicle.

I ordered the trailer towing package and it came with the electric brake controller as part of the towing package The towing package price was $200 over the 2010's which is the price of the optional controller. I have now seen some 2011 stickers where it is no longer included and also on the "build your own" on Chevy's site it is no longer included.

I also got the Chrome wheel upgrade ($700) which are the stock style LTZ wheels but in chrome instead of polished aluminum. They are really nice wheels and go well with the LTZ's chrome mirrors and trim. They do not have locks. I think some of the high dollar accessory chrome wheels do.

I also ordered the second row bench seat since I removed and will never use the third row seats. This will give me seating for an additional passenger. You will want the standard LTZ buckets for easier access if you plan to use the 3rd row.

Good Luck. You will love the Burb.

Last edited by HOE-N-IT; December 1st, 2010 at 3:14 PM.
Old December 1st, 2010, 3:06 PM
CF Junior Member

BTW if you have not seen this site it will give you a lot of information on standard features and options but no pricing. http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/dom...D=10381&type=0
Old December 1st, 2010, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
my only tip is that a 2010 would be almost $14,000 cheaper
I wish I could find one! I have been keeping an eye on the local inventory by stopping by the local dealer as well as looking online at the chevy site. Can't find any 2010's left around here (Cincinnati , OH area).
Old December 1st, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
NukeEm: Welcome to the forum.

Cheapest deal: employee discount. Next cheapest: supplier discount which if you know anyone that's eligible for one, they can usually transfer it. Last is make an offer that's reasonable and be prepared to walk if not accepted.

The first two only work if you're ordering.

Re: block heater. It doesn't take much. When I lived in Mpls, I laid a 100W bulb on the intake manifold w/ the car in an unheated, uninsulated garage and even on 30* below nites, the car started right up.

Recommend looking at aftermarket mats, not because the GM ones aren't any good, but folks like WeatherTech make good ones for less. Just saying, check around.

Which chrome wheels are you getting? Factory ones come w/ locks. But let's face reality, if the bad guys want your ride or wheels, they're going to take it.
Thanks Shark. I wish I could get an employee or supplier discount, but I am neither. I've been pricing "cost" via truecars.com and edmunds.com and if I am getting accurate info, for a on the lot car, offering around $700 to $900 over real dealer cost is working. I'm not playing that card until I am ready and also have a chance to check out alternative loan options.

Good info on the mats. I don't see any mention of the factory 20" chrome wheels having locks, but I'll check.
Old December 1st, 2010, 5:00 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Probably only the optional chrome 20s and up (not the new LTZ chrome wheels) come w/ locks. At least mine did.

Try asking any of your friends that may be remotely connected to the automotive industry if they have a supplier discount. I worked at Honeywell and we got one. And sometimes we could give it to someone else.

Have your dealer search the national inventory for what you want in a 2010. Might cost a few bucks to transfer but still cheaper than a 2011.
Old December 1st, 2010, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I can fix you up with a Supplier company code if you are interested...
You will need to sign in to www.gmsupplierdiscount.com and take it from there.
I don't know if it will work for you but its worth a try if you are interested.

Quick Reply: 2011 New Suburban purchase Q&A