Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Suburban - d-pillar speakers?

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baseball_dad
The wiring is already there and active.
That was my main reason for not trying it out yet. That's great news. Thanks for letting us know and for the diagram, b_dad. 40 minutes plus the cost of speakers sounds like an easy fix.
Old September 9th, 2011, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

All modifications are on the back of the trim panel and finished side is not modified and remains "stock".
One other question b_dad - how much depth/width is there behind the panel? Was the Clarion a tight fit? I'm looking at a pair of Pioneer speakers that might have a bit wider magnet.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

How do you remove the d pillars? Any special tools required?
Old September 16th, 2011, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

I got the speakers a few days ago and finally got to installing them last night. As with baseball_dad, it took me about an hour to install everything (no special tools needed) and I'm no car stereo wiz. My only oops was forgetting to trim the plastic to the larger speaker size as baseball_dad outlines in his diagram, but guess that's something I can go back and fix later if it really bugs me.

So for the cost of speakers and an hours work we now have sound to all rows. Well worth the investment.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

No special tools required.
Pry off the oval shaped screw covers on the pillar panel (they face each other in the hatch opening). Remove the screw under the cover.
Reach your fingers between the side glass and trim panel and pull the panel toward the front of the car. This will unseat the plastic "push in fasteners". Then un-clip the panel from the headliner trim.
Old May 27th, 2014, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

If a stock speaker exists it would be a 1-1/2" which would not deliver much sound so I decided to use a larger speaker by making some modifications.
I just installed a pair of 3-1/2" coaxial Clarion speakers in the rear pillar location. The wiring is already there and active. Slight modifications are required to the back of the pillar trim but it is not too hard. All modifications are on the back of the trim panel and finished side is not modified and remains "stock". Remove the trim panels from the pillars, using a muti-tool cut 3 tabs off (where the speakers should go)and make the opening for the speaker larger. Secure the speaker to the back of the trim panel and hook up the factory wires.
I took me about 20 min. to do both.
Adding these really balanced the sound for the middle seat and now the third row can hear everything.
thanks for the information. do you have any more pictures of the speaker already installed in d pillar cover? I have a 2010 chevy tahoe ls model, don't have this speakers, but I did found out yesterday (while installing a trunk light assembly), found the 2 wire connector for both sides of d-pillar speakers/tweeter. I plugged up a good known speaker to the 2 wire connector and you can hear the music. I want to install some speaker that would fit in place.
Old May 27th, 2014, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Check w/ Crutchfield for the speaker size.
Old June 21st, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tony_V.
thanks for the information. do you have any more pictures of the speaker already installed in d pillar cover? I have a 2010 chevy tahoe ls model, don't have this speakers, but I did found out yesterday (while installing a trunk light assembly), found the 2 wire connector for both sides of d-pillar speakers/tweeter. I plugged up a good known speaker to the 2 wire connector and you can hear the music. I want to install some speaker that would fit in place.
I finally installed today 4 inch pioneer speaker temporary on both rear D-pillar panels (they are from my other old Toyota pickup truck that I used to own).
I had to do some modification to make them fit, but they sound good (except d/s speaker is a little blown). I have ordered a new set of 4 inch pioneer speakers today. Can't wait to get new set of speakers in and installed them on my 2010 Chevy Tahoe, to test the sound difference vs. not having the D-pillar speakers.
The connections of speaker wire that you see in pictures was temporary also. I have cut the connector end and butt connected wires.

Name:  20140621_150829_zps4c0c0ee2.jpg
Views: 7741
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  20140621_150852_zps9eaa36fa.jpg
Views: 8773
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  20140621_150839_zpsfb42b419.jpg
Views: 7645
Size:  56.9 KB
Old May 31st, 2015, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

If a stock speaker exists it would be a 1-1/2" which would not deliver much sound so I decided to use a larger speaker by making some modifications.
I just installed a pair of 3-1/2" coaxial Clarion speakers in the rear pillar location. The wiring is already there and active. Slight modifications are required to the back of the pillar trim but it is not too hard. All modifications are on the back of the trim panel and finished side is not modified and remains "stock". Remove the trim panels from the pillars, using a muti-tool cut 3 tabs off (where the speakers should go)and make the opening for the speaker larger. Secure the speaker to the back of the trim panel and hook up the factory wires.
I took me about 20 min. to do both.
Adding these really balanced the sound for the middle seat and now the third row can hear everything.
Thanks very good info and diagram really saved me some time
Old June 3rd, 2016, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RescueRob's Marine & Auto
Thanks very good info and diagram really saved me some time
I have a 2002 Suburban and all of a sudden my rear subwoofer in the rear two speakers stopped working I don't know what to do or where to check could it be the amp behind the glove box

Quick Reply: 2011 Suburban - d-pillar speakers?