Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Suburban entire truck shakes when applying the brakes

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Suburban entire truck shakes when applying the brakes

I've been searching high and low for the answer to my problem and cannot find anything. My entire truck shakes when applying the brakes, like the ABS is engaging then disengaging over and over until I come to a complete stop. I've replaced all rotors and pads and it's still happening. Every shop that i've taken it to can't figure out the problem, just wasting money at this point trying to figure out what the problem is. I'm not made of money and this has put a huge burden on my savings acct, willing to just trade it in and get something different that isn't Chevy. Anyone have this same issue and figured out what it is causing the shakes? I've read multiple forums and can't find a common solution.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 3:17 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

just an idea but cant you disengage the abs and see if it happens? i know on my 04 imp if a had a bad wheel sensor it would disable the abs. maybe unplug a wheel sensor and or maybe disable the stabilitrak by holding the trac control button for a few seconds (want to say 5 or 10)
Old April 3rd, 2019, 6:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
just an idea but cant you disengage the abs and see if it happens? i know on my 04 imp if a had a bad wheel sensor it would disable the abs. maybe unplug a wheel sensor and or maybe disable the stabilitrak by holding the trac control button for a few seconds (want to say 5 or 10)
Once I get the truck back I will give this a shot.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 8:11 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Things that come to mind:
Warped rotors
bad wheel bearing or hub
U-joints
motor / transmission mounts
bad or loose shock mount
worn or missing sway bar links or bushings

These are items I'd check as any of them could cause an unusual balance or twisting that could put something out of alignment that could also cause shaking when braking.
As a side note, be sure you are using the correct torque setting for your wheel lug nuts, otherwise the rotors can warp from uneven wheel stud pressure. this is a very common mistake folks make.