Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe 4x4 initial acceleration hesitation

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Keep in mind that if your vehicle is under warranty and they need to keep it, the dealer will most likely give you a free rental, don't hesitate to ask them....
Old August 6th, 2011, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it has been a few months since I had the truck in to check out the issue. I have calmed down a little. But, they found nothing wrong.

So I would like to make this my official notice that I hate the 6 speed transmission compared to my 2003 tahoe. This hesitation and jerky feeling coming out of a stop just sucks. As you can see I am not still not happy, but what else am I to do? Is it standard practice to hook it up to a code reader, drive it around the block and call it fine?
It has done very well hauling my new boat. No complaints there. Tow/Haul mode works good. I just get tired of this slow acceleration and jerky shifting feeling at the low end in non-tow mode.
Old August 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

I am having similar problems with my 2007 Tahoe it has 110,00 miles and it sluggish to start but then usually clears up I thought trans fluid was low but its not and I heard there isnt a traditional fuel filter on it anyone have any ideas?
Old August 8th, 2011, 9:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lots of people notice the slow/jerky/gear hunting when "upgrading" from 4 speeds that most people are used to to the new 6 speeds in most cars. Imagine the 8 speed Chrysler is about to start putting out...I would imagine over more time you will get used to the shifting qualities and adjust your throttle use and driving habits to smooth it out a bit
good luck
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CF Active Member

Look up Black Bear tunes and contact Justin to discuss the six speed tranny program. From the reviews, the tune helped.
Old August 12th, 2011, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 Tahoe also - purchased in Nov 2010. Mine does the exact same thing, very slow acceleration...hesitation, and then WHAM! off you go. I hate the torque management and V4/V8 mode. I have a 2000 Yukon with 195,000 miles that accelerates much smoother. Same 5.3 engine...so something has changed for the worse with the newer models.

I'm sure it's functioning as designed, but it sucks. And by the way, I can put my DIC into a mode where it shows me when it's in V8 or V4 mode - and mine kicks into V4 mode all the time when I'm driving around town and low speeds under little or no acceleration. I don't think that's all of the problem, but it's part of the problem. When I put it into Manual shift mode and leave it in M5 or M6, it doesn't shift back and forth between V8 and V4 mode.
Old August 12th, 2011, 3:06 PM
CF Senior Member

there is not a problem - like I say its the difference between the 4 speed transmission you are used to and the 6 speed in your new one. TQ management is there to save the drivetrain and make it last. Go drive a new Ram with the 390HP HEMI. It feels as slow as the Tahoe until it wakes up then you have to really hold on. the TM in the Ram is WAY worse than in these, probably because it has an engine with balllsss. AFM is there to save some gas but really only on the highway
even in cars w/o AFM they drastically lower the fuel injector pressure when you let off the gas and slow down - yours shows V4 in the same situation because there is 0 reason to have all 8 pumping when you are coming to a stop. again saves "some" gas. When you put in manual mode and I think tow/haul it cuts off AFM because the computer cant control what it needs and there are too many new variables.
Old August 12th, 2011, 9:39 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Plus when you put in 5th or 6th, the load on the engine is to great for the V4 mode.
Old August 16th, 2011, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

I have a 2011 Tahoe that is almost a year old that does the same thing. I could live with the initial hesitation and then it takes off under hard acceleration but I hate the way it falls flat after shifting to the next higher gear under light acceleration in traffic. It even at times feels like it is missing and the tach even surges a little instead of building rpm's smoothly. I can't see why torque management is needed with very light throttle if that is the reason<O.

I have been researching this issue for a long time on various forums and this seems to be very common. I'm at the point that I'm going to risk my warranty and the extended warranty I purchased by getting a tune. I have yet to see a post where someone stated that THEIR (not a friend of a friend) tune was detected and warranty denied when they returned it to stock either by swapping PCM's or reloading the stock programming via the Autocal before taking it in for service. I have seen lots of posts where people state that it still CAN be detected if the dealer digs hard enough but none where it WAS detected. I'm 60 years old and don't drive my Tahoe hard. I just want a vehicle that’s smooth like my 02 Yukon was.

<O<OIf GM ever denies my warranty because of a tune I'll just pay for the repair, sell the vehicle and never buy another GM product. GM should be able to engineer and build a smooth performing vehicle under normal driving conditions and still protect the powertrain.

Last edited by HOE-N-IT; August 16th, 2011 at 8:50 AM.
Old August 17th, 2011, 9:04 AM
CF Senior Member

I agree on the tune - I have been looking at getting a Pontiac G8 GT to replace my Acura. it has the 6.0 with the 6 speed transmission. Everyone on the boards for that car swear by the engine and transmission tune to really wake the car up and improve drivability. the 6 speed in stock tune simply wants to get to the highest gear ASAP.
Your situation with light acceleration is not torque management it is the stock transmission tune. Torque management comes into play when you really get on it and it is shifting through the gears. when shifting it will limit the amount of TQ until the transmission is solid in the next gear. good luck let us know how it helps