Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hypertech Max Energy - Initial experiences

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Max Energy - Initial experiences

After reading all the hype about the Hypertech Max Energy programmer, I took the plunge and ordered one for my 2007 Tahoe. I have been running it for 3 days now and here are my initial reactions:

- As with all Hypertech products installation was pretty easy. Just don't forgot to pull the Onstar fuse before you start. You also get a lot of warning lights and chimes during install but they all go away at the end.

- I picked hypertech regular fuel programming, firm shifts, and bumped up my shift points, +200RPM for 1-2 and 2-3, and +100 for 3-4. I also bumped up the rev limiter from 5500 to 5800.

Driving experiences:

- The programming really seems to help the lowend torque in the 1500-2000 range. Less upshifts or TC unlocks on hills when driving 50-60 MPH - holds 4th gear more of the time. Truck just feels a lot stronger when cruising, holds speed much better without changing throttle position.

- Throttle response and overall driveabilityis improved.

- Firm shift is not at all firm, just doesn't feel totally mushy like before. Truck still smooth but you do feel the shift a little bit.

- I don't run WOT much, but the 1-2 upshift at 5700 versus 5500 works great. Revs drop to 3700 or so, a few hundred RPM closer to the torque peak makes a difference on the acceleration. I also see from the HP/Torque chart on the Hypertech site that the torque bumps up a bit right around 3750, so staying in the higher part of the torque curve seems to help WOT acceleration.

- My DIC MPG was averaging 15-15.3 in my normal commute. Since doing the install the first 200 miles have resulted in an average of 16.3. I'm interested to see if the increase holds. 1 MPG is a 6.5% increase, I drive 25K miles a year so it should payoff in 11-12 months and be money in my pocket after that. About $400 a year at $3.75 a gallon for gas.

- I emailed tech support and they said you can run E85 with the regular fuel programming, but might get pinging on the premium fuel programming. (I don't run E85 much due to it being priced just like regular gas, but do use it on occasion so it's nice to still have the option.)

My initialreaction is positive. I'm not getting the 2-6MPG that the ads mention, but I haven't been on a highway trip yet, where I would expect the improvement might be a big higher. Once I have more experience with the product I will post again.

Also - in hindsight I should have probably gone with the Max Energy Econ, the only feature you lose is the premium fuel programming and you save $50-60 on the purchase, $320 vs. $380. Tech support said there isn't much of a MPG difference between the two programs and premium of course costs a little more.

I have to admit, I didn't believe that aprogrammer could improve MPG by a noticeable amount, but I am now convinced.

More to come -
Old April 30th, 2008, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Hypertech Max Energy - Initial experiences

Fredstar, Many thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading it and think that what is this forum should be about. I have a 95 1/2 ton and a 96 Hoe but no chips. Think they are available for these but not sure how they work or if they do. Anyway, thanks for the post. Wife has a new GMC Acadia so may search other posts too. Best to you! Dave
Old April 30th, 2008, 8:55 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Hypertech Max Energy - Initial experiences

I wasone of the Hypertech nay-sayers.However,a non-solicited post has made me take notice.Thanks for the great info.
Old March 16th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hypertech

I believe the Econ has been discontinued anyway.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by cert926
I believe the Econ has been discontinued anyway.
Cert96 Econ has not been discontinued, and I answered your questions in the other headlines about setting up your programmer.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 9:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by fredster
After reading all the hype about the Hypertech Max Energy programmer, I took the plunge and ordered one for my 2007 Tahoe. I have been running it for 3 days now and here are my initial reactions:

- As with all Hypertech products installation was pretty easy. Just don't forgot to pull the Onstar fuse before you start. You also get a lot of warning lights and chimes during install but they all go away at the end.

- I picked hypertech regular fuel programming, firm shifts, and bumped up my shift points, +200RPM for 1-2 and 2-3, and +100 for 3-4. I also bumped up the rev limiter from 5500 to 5800.

Driving experiences:

- The programming really seems to help the lowend torque in the 1500-2000 range. Less upshifts or TC unlocks on hills when driving 50-60 MPH - holds 4th gear more of the time. Truck just feels a lot stronger when cruising, holds speed much better without changing throttle position.

- Throttle response and overall driveabilityis improved.

- Firm shift is not at all firm, just doesn't feel totally mushy like before. Truck still smooth but you do feel the shift a little bit.

- I don't run WOT much, but the 1-2 upshift at 5700 versus 5500 works great. Revs drop to 3700 or so, a few hundred RPM closer to the torque peak makes a difference on the acceleration. I also see from the HP/Torque chart on the Hypertech site that the torque bumps up a bit right around 3750, so staying in the higher part of the torque curve seems to help WOT acceleration.

- My DIC MPG was averaging 15-15.3 in my normal commute. Since doing the install the first 200 miles have resulted in an average of 16.3. I'm interested to see if the increase holds. 1 MPG is a 6.5% increase, I drive 25K miles a year so it should payoff in 11-12 months and be money in my pocket after that. About $400 a year at $3.75 a gallon for gas.

- I emailed tech support and they said you can run E85 with the regular fuel programming, but might get pinging on the premium fuel programming. (I don't run E85 much due to it being priced just like regular gas, but do use it on occasion so it's nice to still have the option.)

My initialreaction is positive. I'm not getting the 2-6MPG that the ads mention, but I haven't been on a highway trip yet, where I would expect the improvement might be a big higher. Once I have more experience with the product I will post again.

Also - in hindsight I should have probably gone with the Max Energy Econ, the only feature you lose is the premium fuel programming and you save $50-60 on the purchase, $320 vs. $380. Tech support said there isn't much of a MPG difference between the two programs and premium of course costs a little more.

I have to admit, I didn't believe that aprogrammer could improve MPG by a noticeable amount, but I am now convinced.

More to come -
Thank you for the wonderful writeup. I wish more people would take the time to do writeups about other products instead of just bashing them. Again thanks for the positive feedback.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the write up good info on here im thinking of getting one along with an intake an exhaust to help my burb tow and get better mileage but the price tag is a little high for just 1mpg. But when you break it down like u said in a year its paid itself off. I don’t drive as much as you do because in the summer I take my bike everywhere I can. I wish the companies like Hypertech would do a group buy promo for us on here I know on other forums I see them a lot, but I am still new on here maybe I just have to wait for it.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Does . Anyone knows a best setting for the hypertech max energy for a 2006 chevy tahoe4.8L
Old May 9th, 2014, 8:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Select regular fuel, put the shift firmness at 50%. If you have changed tire height correct for that and make sure you have your top speed correct for the tire rating. Rpm and shift points are a personal preference.
Old May 17th, 2014, 4:41 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Hypertech Max Energy

This is a letter I sent to Hypertech.... with no response....

I have contacted previously to attempt to get some assistance in an issue I had with my 2007 Corvette Z06 and the use of your programmer with this vehicle. I tried your device for a few days on my vehicle and then put it “back to stock”. A little while later a titanium rod went through the block of this very expensive engine. I took it to the dealership where I had a full bumper to bumper GMPP warranty and fully expected to get a new engine via GM. However, what happened next through me for a loop…the GM techs took a reading from the ECM and came to the conclusion that they could tell that a “programmer” had been used on my vehicle and since it changed the parameters of the vehicle from stock, they chose to void my entire warranty! I have since contacted them 3 or 4 times through various sites and the most recent answer I got was this:

“Hey Chris,

I completely understand the frustration out of pocket expenses can cause. Unfortunately, due to the installation of the Energy Max Programmer, the extended warranty was voided and we would have to stand behind the decision that reimbursement is not available. I would definitely like the opportunity to speak with your dealership about the new ticking noise you have discovered in your vehicle and gather some additional information about that. Please let me know if this is something you would like me to do. Talk to you soon.

Jennie R.
Chevrolet Customer Care”

I have been told by numerous people in your company every time I call or correspond with you that this could NEVER happen. Well it has and I now going to be looking to you to stand by your product and assist me with gaining some satisfaction from the over $15,000 I had to spend on another short block engine being installed in my car.

I personally think I am being “hosed” by GM because I cannot fathom any simple programmer could put an engine so far off kilter that it affects the engine to the point it throws a rod through the block. However I have lost a lot of money due to the use of your tuner. I hope you will consider contacting me directly soon so we can plan a strategy for getting some compensation.

I look forward to you reply.

Chris ....

Stay away from Hypertech !!!!

Quick Reply: Hypertech Max Energy - Initial experiences