Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2011 Tahoe White/Blue Smoke on Startup, Dealer Says New Engine

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2021, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe White/Blue Smoke on Startup, Dealer Says New Engine

Noticed within the past few weeks when we would start the truck cold in the garage, we'd get a puff of white smoke, minor blue hue, but very white. It billows for about 10-15 seconds, then goes away. The truck runs perfectly fine. No temperature issues or overheating. I performed a combustion leak test, found no exhaust in the coolant which appears to be at the normal level.

It's a 2011 model year with the Z71 package and 146,000 miles.

Noticed that it was low on oil, very low. Was due for an oil change and took it to the dealer we normally use and are comfortable with.

They diagnosed as follows and said the engine needs replacement:

"TECH BEGAN DIAGNOSIS WITH COMPRESSION TEST & VERIFIED NO EXTERIOR MOTOR LEAKS CAUSING LOW OIL PRESSURE. UPON FURTHER INSPECTION TECH VERIFIED THE OIL RINGS / PISTON RINGS IN MOTOR WERE FAILED CAUSING INTERNAL OIL LEAKS . TECH RECOMMENDED TO REPLACE MOTOR. CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS AT THIS TIME."

Quoted me $6,400 for a new engine out the door including some coolant hoses.

Question 1: How long can I drive this truck if I just keep checking the oil level and making sure it's good? It runs like a beast and we love it.

Question 2: Would some additive possibly help the issue? I see some Rislone products that are supposed to help seal the piston rings.

Question 3: Is it worth a second opinion? Does this diagnosis seem reasonable?

Not sure where to go with this. The vehicle runs fine, it's in great condition, we don't want to get rid of it, drove it 9 years. Any ideas or experience in this, TIA!
Old February 15th, 2021, 2:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

1 as long as the oil level is checked and the plugs are not fouled...run it forever
2 is the issue oil clogged oil control rings...if yes...gm has a potential fix with combustion chamber cleaner
3 what were the compression readings? How much oil consumption? Was an oil consumption study done? if compression is ok...leaking valve stem seals can cause smoke on start up.

reading exhaust smoke
white is coolant
black is overfueling
blue tint is oil
white in a diesel can be cold fuel combustion