Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Suburban with only 4wd high...adding 4wd low

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2018, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Suburban with only 4wd high...adding 4wd low

I’m new to this forum, looking for some help....I have a 2012 Suburban 4wd with only 4wd high (single gear transfercase). Has anyone had success or even attempted to add 4wd low??

If so, what changes and parts were required? And how much money in parts/labor??
Old January 24th, 2018, 7:02 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless you're going to use 4-low a LOT, and rock crawl or tow very heavy things short distances... I wouldn't bother. in 9 years I used 4-low ONCE.
With all the electronics required, transfer case, parts, labor, etc. etc. I think this is going to be quite involved. Not impossible, but quite involved... If you do it, take some pics!
Old January 24th, 2018, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 4 low a good bit during hunting season...and I use it at the boat ramp when unloading/loading my boat.
In my part of the country, 4wd low is used a lot more than 4wd hi. It is one of those things I would rather have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it.

Anyways, back to the original question: has anyone added 4wd low to a Chevy vehicle with a single gear transfer case (4wd high only)?