Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 tahoe headlights - is it simple ?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2023 | 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Default 2012 tahoe headlights - is it simple ?

Hello forum,
Recently, I swapped out my cloudy headlight assembly on the passenger side. The new lens looks great and the bulbs work fine. So far, so good.

Now, all of a sudden, I notice that on the drivers side, which was always working fine, the headlight does NOT go on when the new passenger headlight goes on, due to the light sensor!! STRANGE. All the bulbs work on the drivers side as well.

Are there two different light sensors, one for each headlight? The two headlights were working together fine before.

Any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks,
Ted
Old April 28th, 2023 | 10:25 AM
CF Monarch

Do the drivers side headlights go on when you manually turn the headlights on? Did you check the fuse as I think there is a separate fuse for each headlight?
Old April 28th, 2023 | 11:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Re: 2012 tahoe headlights - is it simple ?

[size=8px]Old Chevy,[/size]
[size=8px]Thanks for getting back.[/size]

[size=8px]Yes, the drivers side headlight goes on when I manually turn the headlights on. And, it also goes on automatically based on the light sensor, as it always did, just no longer at [/size]​​​​the same time [size=8px]as the NEW passenger side headlight goes on. [/size]
[size=8px]Maybe the NEW passenger headlight assembly HAS ITS OWN BUILT IN SENSOR ??[/size]
[size=8px]If such a sensor exists, could that cause the NEW passenger headlight to go on at a different time than the OLD drivers side headlight, which is tied into the factory dash light sensor ??[/size]

[size=8px]If such a built in sensor exists, how could it "override" the dash light sensor, when the round headlight **** is set to automatic? Recall, that the problem is that the NEW passenger headlight goes on, while my OLD headlight on the drivers side remians off until it gets a bit darker out.[/size]

[size=8px]I always thought there was only ONE light sensor that sits on top of the dash, and that it worked BOTH headlights, when the round headlight **** on the dash was set to automatic.[/size]

[size=8px]Q: Did you check the fuse as I think there is a separate fuse for each headlight?[/size]
[size=8px]A: I don't think it is a blown fuse problem, because the driver headlight does indeed go on - just not at at the same time as the other one.[/size]

[size=8px]I am wondering if there are two separate factory light sensors, but I don't think so. If there are two sensors, maybe one got messed up somehow, but too coincidental. I only see one sensor on the dash.[/size]

[size=8px]Thanks for ALL help on this.[/size]

[size=8px]Ted[/size]
Old April 28th, 2023 | 11:37 AM
CF Monarch

I doubt that there is a sensor in the new headlight but just to be sure check with the manufacturer. Also check the wiring to the new light and make sure it is plugged in good and tight.
Old April 28th, 2023 | 2:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Old Chevy,
just got off the phone with the design group at the headlight assembly manufacturer. They said there is NO sensor in the assembly, which is what we thought.
BTW, everything is connected tight.

Any other thoughts out there? This is weird.

I cannot understand why both headlights would not go on at the same time since they are both operating off the same light sensor when the **** is in automatic mode.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,
Ted
Old April 28th, 2023 | 2:59 PM
CF Monarch

Try changing the bulbs from left to right and see if the same thing happens.
Old April 28th, 2023 | 3:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Old Chevy,
I will try the bulb swap over the weekend and report back to the forum.
Thanks,
Ted
Old May 27th, 2024 | 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default did the light issue get fixed?

I seem to have the same issue but on my passenger side headlight. I've replaced a sensor, the wiring harness and the bulbs do not look burnt. I have low beans in the daytime but when darkness occurs, my right passenger headlight goes out and the driver side stays on. Both of the headlights will function if I use highbeams...
any suggestions?
Old May 27th, 2024 | 7:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Mmaplumber,

To this date, I never found an answer to this problem, yet it went away. I have to assume a loose connector somehow got tightened up.