Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2012 Tahoe - power folding mirrors upgrade problem

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Tahoe - power folding mirrors upgrade problem

I just installed power folding mirrors, and also the driver's side window control panel that is needed to operate power folding mirrors. When i plugged in the new control panel nothing worked. When I plugged the old control panel in I was able to get all functions including the mirror turn signals (old mirrors did not have this feature) except for the mirrors to fold. I vaguely recall a post that a passenger side control panel is needed as well as the new driver side control panel. Does anyone have any experience with this upgrade and or problem? Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2012, 8:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

did the instuctions say anything about reprograming anthing?
Don't know if it runs through the driver door module?
Old November 15th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

I got the mirrors from my father-in-law who upgraded to towing mirrors back in 2008, so I did not have any instructions. the new driver side switch did not come with any paperwork. Thinking I may need to get it reprogrammed.
Old November 16th, 2012, 1:09 PM
Super Moderator

the mirrors are from a 08 tahoe and going to your 2012?

I checked. The wiring doesn't go thru the driver door module but just through the door switch.

I would check the white connector x7 to the door switch from the mirror. Is there a yellow wire at pin 1 and a light blue wire at pin 2 in that 10 wire connector?
Old November 16th, 2012, 3:57 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I am almost certain the new mirrors will need to be enabled via programming...
When the GMT900 first came out that was a popular item to install ( power folding mirrors) some dealers will do the programming others not, if its not factory installed...
I think some just played nut roll and told the dealer the the mirrors just stopped folding for some reason *wink wink* and the dealer reprogrammed as a fix...

If you regularly use the dealership for your servicing they may do it for you at for the standard hour rate, if not ask and they may still do it or say no...
Old November 24th, 2012, 9:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you install a used , working switch, i believe that should work in your car the only thing is that you wont have the curb view in reverse feature option to choose in the DIC . If you installed a new switch , then it will need programming from the dealer. If you havent got it figured out yet, you can try to install one from a Tahoe, yukon, suburban or escalade that has folding mirrors to see if it works.
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:49 AM
Super Moderator

I just checked. the window switch is part of the driver door module.
It could very well need to be enabled via programming even though the folding function is wired direct from the switch to the mirror.

2 switchs are needed to operate the folding function
the folding function the mirror left/right switch must be in the neutral position....then activate the folding switch
Old November 26th, 2012, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

I found this thread on a similar upgrade: Adding pwr fold signal mirrors 08 gmc - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

As much as I would like to do the upgrade to the power folding and reverse tilt, it sounds like it's more trouble (and cost) than it's worth.
Old November 26th, 2012, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Folding mirrors are now working

Thanks everyone for your help! I went to the deaslership and got the reprogramming done and now everything works great!
Old November 26th, 2012, 4:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Sweet, was there a charge?