Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2013 Suburban 5.3 with broken valve spring

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2015, 4:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Suburban 5.3 with broken valve spring

I bought my 2013 Sub earlier this year with 32k miles, have 40k now. I sometimes noticed a slight engine stumble at idle and slight oil consumption, maybe a quart at 2-3k miles. Last week suddenly the idle stumble turned to a full misfire. Still drove ok and was able to drive 20 miles home no problem. When I got home the check engine light came on. Checked code and had misfire cylinder 7. Pulled the spark plug out of 7 and it looks messy. Black fouling. Maybe a little oily. Put a new plug in but no improvement. Put the old one back in.

Dropped the truck at the dealer, fortunate for the 5 yr 100k powertrain warranty. Dealer called Tuesday and diagnosed a broken exhaust valve spring in cylinder 7. Replaced it, fully covered under warranty. Truck runs perfect now, maybe even better than before. I think the stumble is improved or gone. I pulled the plug again today and it cleaned itself a bit but I put he new one in since I had it. I've never had a valve spring break before and not sure if it's AFM related. Hope it was a fluke and didn't do damage to the valve or cylinder. Anyone ever see this happen on these engines?
Old October 31st, 2015, 4:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I have seen collapsed lifters on the afm cylinders but no broken valve springs so far.
Old November 1st, 2015, 5:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
I have seen collapsed lifters on the afm cylinders but no broken valve springs so far.
I assumed someone's lease on this truck in January because the end of lease purchase price is really good. I plan on buying it in 6 months but it I have any more problems I can just give it back and move on.