Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2013 Tahoe with Bose, radio hiss any time speakers are "on".

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Tahoe with Bose, radio hiss any time speakers are "on".

Hey all..

Just bought a 2013 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with Bose, and I had the radio replaced due to a service bulletin having to do with the radio display emitting a high pitched frequency all the time. Well long story short, they replaced my radio, but forgot to program it for Bose, so everything was loud as hell. Brought it back and they reprogrammed it, but now I notice something I did not notice before...

Any time the speakers have power to them i.e. the radio is on, the turn signals are on, the chimes are going, etc. there is a faint hissing coming from the speakers. I can't tell if it is just the center/sub or if it is all of them.

Here is why I am asking this... I honestly don't remember this happening before they replaced the radio. When they replaced it and it wasn't programmed correctly I did notice the hiss because it was very loud. Well after reprogramming the hiss is still there only much quieter, but still noticeable. I am unfortunately somewhat of an audiophile and also my ears are sensitive to noises like this.

What I am asking is, can anybody that has a 2007-2013 Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado with Bose try the following and let me know if you hear a hiss?

Get in the truck without starting the engine and put the hazard lights on. Do you hear a hiss? Shut the hazards off and the hiss will remain for about 3 seconds and then stop.

Not sure if this is an error that happened when they swapped radios or if it is just a minor irritating issue that is just how the Bose is.
Old May 13th, 2013, 1:40 PM
aof
CF Beginner

Default No hiss here

I have a Tahoe 2010 LTZ with Bose and I have just checked for hiss, and no hiss heard.

I tried with hazards on and off, with the volume high, low and off but no hiss in any case.

I tried with the key on to first detent (ignition off) and with key to second detent (ignition on) but no hiss in either position, hazards on or off.
Old May 13th, 2013, 5:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SirKaboomski
Hey all..

Just bought a 2013 Chevy Tahoe Z71 with Bose, and I had the radio replaced due to a service bulletin having to do with the radio display emitting a high pitched frequency all the time. Well long story short, they replaced my radio, but forgot to program it for Bose, so everything was loud as hell. Brought it back and they reprogrammed it, but now I notice something I did not notice before...

Any time the speakers have power to them i.e. the radio is on, the turn signals are on, the chimes are going, etc. there is a faint hissing coming from the speakers. I can't tell if it is just the center/sub or if it is all of them.

Here is why I am asking this... I honestly don't remember this happening before they replaced the radio. When they replaced it and it wasn't programmed correctly I did notice the hiss because it was very loud. Well after reprogramming the hiss is still there only much quieter, but still noticeable. I am unfortunately somewhat of an audiophile and also my ears are sensitive to noises like this.

What I am asking is, can anybody that has a 2007-2013 Tahoe/Suburban/Silverado with Bose try the following and let me know if you hear a hiss?

Get in the truck without starting the engine and put the hazard lights on. Do you hear a hiss? Shut the hazards off and the hiss will remain for about 3 seconds and then stop.

Not sure if this is an error that happened when they swapped radios or if it is just a minor irritating issue that is just how the Bose is.
Hi SirKaboomski,

Did you get your radio replaced at the dealership? If so, you may want to continue working with them-- they are responsible for correcting any repairs they have done on your vehicle.

Best of Luck

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 15th, 2013, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

It was done at the dealer. Problem is, the hiss is at the sort of volume level that will probably get me a "I don't hear nothin" from the service guys.. This is why I was hoping to have people reply to this thread and give me some info whether there is any audible hiss or not.

It's honestly not something I hear all the time and mostly only if the radio isn't playing music, or the ac/heat is off, then I can always hear it any time the turn signal is on. Like I said though I have no idea if this is something that would be considered "normal" because I do not recall if it was doing this before the radio was replaced the first time.. I only noticed it when the radio was programmed incorrectly for a non Bose truck which made all my turn signal/chime levels AMAZINGLY loud... the background hiss was also REALLY loud.. this is when I first noticed it.. but now I still hear it.