Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Police Tahoe brake squeak

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2016, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2015 Police Tahoe brake squeak

My department has purchased 3 2015 Tahoes (PPV) and have less than 5,000 miles on them. The brakes are squeaking terribly and the rear rotors are pitting on all 3 Tahoes!! Has anybody else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it? I'm fearful that the dealership will simply apply the "no squeal" garbage and say its fixed or they'll just send us packing after they say "there's nothing we can do". Anybody have any suggestions?
Old February 21st, 2016, 9:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

I am assuming this is not an intermittent squeak but rather is occurring at every brake application. All 3 vehicles or just one?

Are you in a rust belt? If yes, you should be buying vehicles with rear drum brakes.
were the brakes were overheated due to severe use? Pad roasting will glaze them and they will squeal all the time.

regardless, other than replacing parts, there is nothing that can be done at a dealership level.
Old February 25th, 2016, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

Cool

Originally Posted by tech2
I am assuming this is not an intermittent squeak but rather is occurring at every brake application. All 3 vehicles or just one?

Are you in a rust belt? If yes, you should be buying vehicles with rear drum brakes.
were the brakes were overheated due to severe use? Pad roasting will glaze them and they will squeal all the time.

regardless, other than replacing parts, there is nothing that can be done at a dealership level.

Yes only when the brakes are applied and yes on all 3 vehicles and we are in Alabama so no salty roads or sea salt issues here. My city does not have an interstate nor are these vehicles abused (2 are admin vehicles and not patrol and the other is mine to which I take home and nobody else drives).

After a short search, I've found that this is a common issue with the PPV vehicle for some reason and, in my opinion, should be fixed/remedied by the dealership. These are brand new vehicles and not abused like you would think a patrol vehicle would be.
Old February 25th, 2016, 9:19 PM
CF Veteran

Might be worth having them checked to make sure they are lubed properly, I've fixed tons of brake squeals just simply cleaning and lubricating the right spots

You'd be amazed the stuff that comes from the factory sometimes.
Old February 26th, 2016, 7:52 PM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

I'll bet PPVs have a heavy duty pad (read very hard, maybe ceramic) which would have a tendency to squeal.