Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban A/C engages and stays on, fans won't go to high speed

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2022, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2015 Suburban A/C engages and stays on, fans won't go to high speed

Happy Sunday everyone,

I recently had the high pressure A/C line leak in which I replaced and refilled with freon (vacuumed the system, got the legit gauges, etc.). I've done this before with that known troublesome low pressure line. Everything works great when I turn the A/C on except the fans do not kick into high speed. Obviously, if I let it idle in the driveway, it will slowly get hotter as the condensor is not getting cooled by the fans. The fans are coming on but they're staying at a low speed. To ensure they can do high speed, I disconnected the water temp sensor and sure enough, they went high speed. So, it seems like whatever part of the A/C system that tells the fans to go high speed isn't working. I assumed relay but from the little I've found online, there isn't an A/C relay! How do I fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Summary: A/C comes on, compressor stays on, cool air comes out, however the fans do not go into highspeed. Fans high speed has been confirmed by disconnecting coolant temp sensor. There appears to be a problem between the A/C system and fans communication.
Old July 25th, 2022, 7:13 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

My '11 switches from low to high. Fans may not go to high speed unless auto system goes into recirculation or it's a super-hot day in my Tahoe. My fans mostly run on the low speed most of the time for the A/C.
Old July 25th, 2022, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

What temperature is coming out of your vents?
Old August 24th, 2023, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXforyour7
Happy Sunday everyone,

I recently had the high pressure A/C line leak in which I replaced and refilled with freon (vacuumed the system, got the legit gauges, etc.). I've done this before with that known troublesome low pressure line. Everything works great when I turn the A/C on except the fans do not kick into high speed. Obviously, if I let it idle in the driveway, it will slowly get hotter as the condensor is not getting cooled by the fans. The fans are coming on but they're staying at a low speed. To ensure they can do high speed, I disconnected the water temp sensor and sure enough, they went high speed. So, it seems like whatever part of the A/C system that tells the fans to go high speed isn't working. I assumed relay but from the little I've found online, there isn't an A/C relay! How do I fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Summary: A/C comes on, compressor stays on, cool air comes out, however the fans do not go into highspeed. Fans high speed has been confirmed by disconnecting coolant temp sensor. There appears to be a problem between the A/C system and fans communication.
Did you ever figure this out?