Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 suburban ltz suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2018, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 suburban ltz suspension issues

Started off with the magnaride shocks going bad. We’ve replaced them. Now when I turn I have lots of knocking noises. I’ve taken to two different places. One says they couldn’t find where the noise is coming from. Second place says it’s a bad lower ball joint and also rack and pinion locking up. It steers fine, no roughness just the noises. My husband and dad took the wheels off the front, to their belief the ball joint is not bad. We did notice however that the wheel is hitting the control arm, there is wear on the arm where something is making contact. However we don’t feel that’s where all the noise is coming from. The same noise is heard when coming to a stop. Breaks are new. No issues there. However it is odd that the front passenger wheel has lots of break dust and this is where the most sound is coming from. He ordered new lower ball joints for both front wheels. Keep in mind it’s not 4wd. Everything seems right and secure with the suspension. What in this world could be happening? We can’t get a straight answer from anyone. This thing is a big headache and the parts for the ltz model are not cheap or easy to find. We did notice there was some pretty bad wear on my fairly new tires on the inside almost as if the tires are leaning in at the top. Maybe I need an alignment? My hard headed husband says no because it doesn’t pull like it’s out of line. Rides fine. It’s quite embarrassing to ride around in a $60k vehicle and every turn it’s steadily knocking. I’m nervous to keep taking it to be looked at when no one can agree. Can someone please tell me where to start? What to ask the technicians so they know where to start looking. I want to blow this damn vehicle up I’m so sick of it.
Thanks y’all!
Old October 10th, 2018, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of the issues. These things can be frustrating at times! Subscribed and hoping you find the solution soon.
Old October 10th, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You definitely need an alignment. You said a wheel is hitting the control arm which sounds like this is your problem. Excessive brake dust on the passenger wheel is also a sign that something is wrong. Try and find the cause of the wheel hitting and that should solve your problem.
Old October 10th, 2018, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not refuting it needs an alignment, but she stated it happens when coming to a stop likely driving in a straight line so the tire wouldn’t be rubbing causing that noise. Nonetheless, hoping for a resolution.
Old October 10th, 2018, 11:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

She also said that it makes knocking noises when turning. Applying the brakes could stopping going straight could cause the wheel to wobble a little and it is known that the wheel is rubbing, so this is a good starting point and it needs to be repaired anyway!