Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2016 Suburban-LT-complete transmission failure @66K

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2019, 8:35 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2016 Suburban-LT-complete transmission failure @66K

Lost power while driving on the highway. Engine rpm's were fine but no power from transmission. Pulled to the side of road and put in park then...no reverse, no drive, nothing. Turned engine off and on three times and transmission finally engaged. I was within a three mile drive to local dealer and dropped it off for evaluation. Dealer reported the transmission was completely destroyed and I had two options- they supply a rebuild from GM for $3,700 with 12 month 12,000 mile warranty or $4,200 for a brand new transmission with 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Plus a $650.00 diagnostics fee. Dealer informed me there was no "Good Will" offered from GM even though I was only 6,000 miles out of warranty.

I have babied this vehicle since I purchased it. Never floored it once or towed anything over 1,500 lbs.

I'll post the diagnostics report once I receive it. No new transmissions available due to UAW strike. This was my first American made vehicle purchase in twenty years. I towed the same load (small boat) with a Subaru Outback for ten years and 100,000 miles and never had a single issue. I'm hoping this is an anomaly as I really love my Burb!

Has anyone else experienced transmission failure at such a low mileage? I believe it's the 4L60E transmission.

Last edited by 2016suburban; October 24th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old March 13th, 2022, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Suburban 4x4 with tow pkg Transmission gone

Well I searched for 6 months to find my perfect Burb. I had to have tan Leather and only a few colors..(My Boss said). So I found one with 83K in near perfect condition and I am very picky. This truck drove like a champ and was what I thought was the perfect vehicle for occasional trailer towing and taking my dogs along. Well Imagine my disappointment when I was a huge chevy guy ( 6 prior Burbs or Silverados) to find they are no longer the king of reliability. In fact you can't leave town and feel comfortable. The wife was driving (@90K) and with no warning other than a small noise I thought was a pulley or belt, the transmission died. I knew it was toast when I pulled the dip stick and smelled the burnt fluid. Now it gets better. I did however buy the dealers extended warranty so I thought no big deal. Looks like there are so many issues with this transmission you can't get a replacement. So.. I thought no big deal until I found that the coverage didn't cover a rental when waiting for parts... Ok no big deal again. I have a car I can borrow for a week or so. Well, hold on it's going to be more than a month. Needless to say I am getting it fixed and I will look for my first Ford to replace it. Oh the shame.