Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2017 suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2021, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 suburban

Howdy everyone my name is mike and I’m fixing to become a first time Chevy owner. Been with Toyota my whole life but life threw a curveball and now I have 5 kids. There is a 2017 suburban z71 with 90,000 miles that’s for sale at the local dealership. Money is tight so buying new is no option. Is there anything I need to look for prior to purchase? Carfax looks like vehicle oil change every 7500 miles. The only thing that is making me nervous is the 7 pin connector protector is broke, leading me to believe it hauled a boat or trailer. I’ll be test driving it first thing in the morning so if there is anything that y’all think of let me know. Thanks

Old May 10th, 2021, 9:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Looking at wear in the hitch receiver is one way to tell if a lot of towing was done but I tow and fluid maintenance is where it's at and I take my tow vehicles to 220k miles all the time.
Color and smell of trans. fluid is important, pull the stick and look. Reddish and not black is a good sign.
A look down the engine oil fill for sludge is another thing I do.
Mileage is high for the year so I'd say it's got mostly highway mileage and that's better than all intown low mileage stop and go.
Since it's a Z71 I'd look under it for any damage from off roading like bent or scraped up parts as well a frame damage from collisions.
Car Fax is not all that accurate, I had a S10 Blazer get hit when parked and shoved into a car in front of it, fixed and processed through the Ins. Co. with Police reports and when bought a subscription for checking out it's replacement I ran it for the heck of it a few years later nothing came up on it about it being in an accident.
Old May 10th, 2021, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
Looking at wear in the hitch receiver is one way to tell if a lot of towing was done but I tow and fluid maintenance is where it's at and I take my tow vehicles to 220k miles all the time.
Color and smell of trans. fluid is important, pull the stick and look. Reddish and not black is a good sign.
A look down the engine oil fill for sludge is another thing I do.
Mileage is high for the year so I'd say it's got mostly highway mileage and that's better than all intown low mileage stop and go.
Since it's a Z71 I'd look under it for any damage from off roading like bent or scraped up parts as well a frame damage from collisions.
Car Fax is not all that accurate, I had a S10 Blazer get hit when parked and shoved into a car in front of it, fixed and processed through the Ins. Co. with Police reports and when bought a subscription for checking out it's replacement I ran it for the heck of it a few years later nothing came up on it about it being in an accident.
thanks for the reply. I noticed the 7 pin connector is broken and it looks like they towed a boat. Only reason I say boat is there is a little bit of surface rust on the rear frame. Nothing too bad. I’m fixing to head out and drive it. Thanks for the pointers
Old May 10th, 2021, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

So I went to check it out. Pulled the trans dip stick and there was small metallic flakes when I rubbed the fluid off with my finger. It had a red tint but turned grey when I put some on my finger. I’m deciding to pass. I feel like that’s a transmission time bomb.