Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2020 tahoe hood release not working

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2021, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 tahoe hood release not working

I pulled the hood release lever and it didn't pop the hood. No click whatsoever. The cable doesn't appear to be broken, but the lever doesn't pull back up. It seems to be binding somewhere.

Is there a way to open the hood from the outside? Or get it to reset.

I've tried bouncing the hood while someone else pulls the lever again.
Old August 20th, 2021, 7:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Still under the 3/36 warranty ? If so take it in to the dealer.
Old August 20th, 2021, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is still under warranty, but the dealer said they'd need it for a few days before they could get it in to fix the rear window sprayer that leaks by the driver front wheel, the reason I was opening the hood to begin with.

I guess that's what I'll do.
Old August 20th, 2021, 9:13 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by HBPhelan
It is still under warranty, but the dealer said they'd need it for a few days before they could get it in to fix the rear window sprayer that leaks by the driver front wheel, the reason I was opening the hood to begin with.

I guess that's what I'll do.
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS !!!! Complain to the dealer, go up the "food chain" at the dealer to service manager, or even the owner. This shouldn't/doesn't need to "sit" at the dealer a few days before they even look at it !!! They should be able to schedule this in, like on a Wednesday, so you can take it in on THAT day and get it repaired then. They/you already know the two issues (hood release and issue with the rear window spray plumbing), they could even order suspected parts in advance. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (August 20th, 2021)
Old August 20th, 2021, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

busy shops are booked 2 weeks in advance. What do you suggest?
I fail to see how being booked full is bad service?

Last edited by tech2; August 20th, 2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old August 21st, 2021, 7:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

You do have a choice, however, and that is to take to someone to repair the problem while you wait, but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's gonna cost ya !!

We like to think shops are just waiting for us to come in with a problem($$$) , but that isn't always the case.
Think about this a minute, if,,,,,,,,,,,, the only one available was the car washer and you wanted him/her to get on your vehicle right away , the could give that person the job and if lucky get the hood open. If on the other hand they screw it up and now they have to wait for parts , you could still be waiting 2 weeks , maybe more..
Decision time, what do you think?
Old August 21st, 2021, 8:36 AM
CF Pro Member

In my area many dealerships have tech wanted signs out on the road in front. Those signs are not out there because they are short one tech. . That is the biggest source of ''booked up''.
Why work when you can be on the Covid gravy train .
Old August 21st, 2021, 8:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Appointment, so the shop gets to it on the day you take it in !!!

With what I read about issues with 2021 GM stuff here, not surprised shops are so busy. By the way: the biggest profit generators for dealerships is generally NOT the sale of vehicles, it's service department, financing, and selling of extended warranties. Shops are losing business if wait time is 2 weeks.

But don't go what I say, the only time we used a dealer service department was with the intermittent non-closing of the sunroof on our 2005 Yukon Denali. After 4 trips, when dealer felt that the issue was the switch (which I tested as good), I was told they "had absolutely no idea what was wrong"; I had made it clear when I took it in that I would pay for a repair but not for guessing, and they agreed. I took out the fuse when the sunroof "decided" to close, and 3 months later I got a refund check.
Old August 21st, 2021, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
In my area many dealerships have tech wanted signs out on the road in front. Those signs are not out there because they are short one tech. . That is the biggest source of ''booked up''.
Why work when you can be on the Covid gravy train .
we have a tech shortage in Canada. Its quite understandable as it takes years to be profitable as a technician. Spending $30 000 in tools. trying to keep current on new tech. Having limited service information on some makes. Fighting warranty times on flat rate...no thanks. The only upside is trade cost on parts and being able to fix your own vehicle. I would never recommend this trade to anyone. I could be much further ahead if i was an electrician.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 6:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by tech2
we have a tech shortage in Canada. Its quite understandable as it takes years to be profitable as a technician. Spending $30 000 in tools. trying to keep current on new tech. Having limited service information on some makes. Fighting warranty times on flat rate...no thanks. The only upside is trade cost on parts and being able to fix your own vehicle. I would never recommend this trade to anyone. I could be much further ahead if i was an electrician.
I agree. I went into the appliance service field after doing auto repair back in the '70's. Garage's are hot in the summer and cold in the winter, at least people's homes are heated in the winter LOL.
Now retired at the right time as most of today's appliances are China junk and very problematic not to mention loaded with modules with minimal if any diagnostics built in and impossible to stock common parts like back in the day to do one stop service as designs are not consistent.

Quick Reply: 2020 tahoe hood release not working