Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 Tahoe 3000 miles Bad lifter major engine repair

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2021, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Tahoe 3000 miles Bad lifter major engine repair

Actual eng being repaired worse engine ever for Chevy
stay away from this model ! Until it gets fixed if ever
I was driving with a loud noise lifter issues
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlos Zamora:
AnnnaMot (July 27th, 2021), cori.jade (January 4th, 2022)
Old March 30th, 2021, 9:25 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

What engine ? 5.3 ?
Was thinking about upgrading to one and also what was the build date of yours. May have had a batch of bad lifters when engine was built.
Old May 4th, 2021, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a very common problem as of late. It sounds like Chevy used/using bad lifters. Hopefully it is sorted out very soon. I have a 2021 LT Trail Boss with a 6.2 on order.
Old July 26th, 2021, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found out that my 2021 Tahoe RST has the same problem. I started hearing the clicking and clunking at around 2k to 3k miles. I had ordered this truck in April and received it at the end of March. It took quite a while for me to get an appointment with the dealership where I bought it. It’s been there since last Thursday. I did not receive any updates on my vehicle until today when they told me about the lifters. The only good news they gave me is that there was no other damage to any other parts. They told me the truck is NOT drivable but yet they don’t know when they will get the parts in. I requested a bigger courtesy vehicle than the Equinox and they didn’t call me back about that!!
The following users liked this post:
cori.jade (January 4th, 2022)
Old July 26th, 2021, 6:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the 2021 a new generation model or engine? If so, this problem is a prime example of why they should be avoided like the plague. Manufactures, being fully aware of design flaws, buckle under pressure to get the new vehicles on the lot. They then let the buyer deal with getting things fixed...some things never do.
Old July 27th, 2021, 7:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by subfan597
Is the 2021 a new generation model or engine? If so, this problem is a prime example of why they should be avoided like the plague. Manufactures, being fully aware of design flaws, buckle under pressure to get the new vehicles on the lot. They then let the buyer deal with getting things fixed...some things never do.
Bad batch of lifters in a couple months of engine production. LS based engines are tried and true tough motors.
Now the new independent rear suspension is new, I have not read anything bad about it so far.
Old July 27th, 2021, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2021 Tahoe RST

The same thing happened to me today.It has a loud engine knock and misfires. When idling it shakes the whole car. My Tahoe I purchased in January 2021 has about 11k miles on it.
The following users liked this post:
cori.jade (January 4th, 2022)
Old July 30th, 2021, 10:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
Bad batch of lifters in a couple months of engine production. LS based engines are tried and true tough motors.
Now the new independent rear suspension is new, I have not read anything bad about it so far.
The LS engines surely don't deserve the bad press that these lifters are causing, that's for sure. I've got a quarter million on my '01 engine AND trans. Even the starter is original. Of course the original warranty is long gone, but almost every replacement part on the truck has a lifetime warranty. Until something major goes or I can no longer do the repairs myself I will likely just drive it into the sunset.
Old January 4th, 2022, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I have a 2021 Tahoe purchased January of 21 and just had lifter(s) go bad with 6,700 miles. This is the 2nd time I've had this car flat bedded to the dealer for repairs in 9 months. Worst new car experience ever.
Old January 5th, 2022, 9:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

I believe GM just OK'd a complete warranty repair involving both sides of the engine for these.

Quick Reply: 2021 Tahoe 3000 miles Bad lifter major engine repair