Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

3rd Time heads have came off in under a month...

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2022, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Time heads have came off in under a month...

2010 Suburban, 4x4, LT, 240,000 miles. It's always used oil. Check the gas, fill it up with oil. Then one day smoke poured out the back. Take it to my mechanic (who's always worked on it and been fantastic), he says it needs a valve job. So while the valves are sent off, we decide it's a great time to replace the lifters, piston rings, and even the cam shaft. Why not. Get the new heads and at idle and reverse the truck shakes like crazy. Very low oil pressure. Send it back, they decide its a bad valve job and get another set. Same thing. Replace the oil pump, intake, throttle body, even the valve covers with the new updated ones and an oil catch can. Still shaking like crazy. Mechanic takes it to the dealer, dealer says bad valve job. Do a leak down and it'll prove it. So I'm on the third set of these things. Surely I've not had two bad sets in a row, right? Before hand the truck ran great. Fantastic oil pressure, no jerking and moving. But after this it's been a nightmare. The oil pressure dropped so low one time that the light came on. Wife was in Starbucks drive through. We all got cussed that day.

Any ideas? I've asked about motor mounts and transmission mounts. I'm stumped. Then again I know very little.

Last edited by guyfromtn; February 4th, 2022 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Incorrect title
Old February 6th, 2022, 6:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks like whoever is doing the headwork is not doing good work. At 240k miles and truck is a rust free southern / western truck I'd would just do a complete motor and be done if truck is worth keeping. I'd price a fresh motor since it's at the dealer I believe GM has a good warranty on motors.
Old February 13th, 2022, 11:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Was this a valve job or reman heads? What is the compression numbers on each cylinder? Did you do an AFM delete? Almost sounds like they installed the wrong camshaft or you did an AFM delete and didn't have the computer tuned.