Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

454 Suburban - Hard Shift Transmission

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 454 Suburban - Hard Shift Transmission

Hello,

My 1986 454 Suburban (aka the rocketship) was driving fine. Then suddenly I noticed a delay in the soft shifting of the gears at about 25MPH. I checked the transmission dip stick and it was low so I progressively added, over a period of ten minutes, a quart of transmission fluid. The dip stick said "Dextron" but all I could find was "Dextron III" and the label said it was compatible with "Dextron II".

Anyhow, after I added the Dextron III the shifting at about 25MPH turned into a bit of a jolt (like a small car running into the back end of my Suburban while backing up in a parking lot). The next shift occurs about 45MPH and is much more mild, but it is noticable and if the 25MPH shift were at the 45MPH shifting level I would not be writting this.

OK. The situation was better BEFORE I added the Dextron III because all I had was the delay plus soft shift, but not the current delay and jolt (hard shift). So, I have driven it for yet another day with the same jolt action, hoping that the fluid would circulate and lube the parts. Nope. Same problem, different day.

What causes the jolt during the 25MPH shift, now that I added what appears to be the correct fluid level???

Might there be some sort of tranny conditioner???

What else should I review???

Thanks,
Steve