Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4th row seating for Suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2015, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th row seating for Suburban

I have a 2002 Suburban LT that I need to add a 4th row in the cargo area. I really don't want a 3rd row full bench seat out back there because it will be difficult to get in and out of the 4th row besides climbing over the seats. I have watched a couple of YouTube videos of people installing a 4th so I know it can be done.

My question is: I would like a 50/50 or 60/40 split bench put in. Which vehicles do I need to get this from? I have read in some places that a Yukon or Tahoe 3rd row seat might do the trick, but I'm not sure. My current seating is tan leather with gray seat belts.

I have another baby due in 6 weeks, so I will have 8 kids. So I need at least 10+ seats. I don't want to get the 12 or 15 passenger van so pleasssssssse help me. Right now I only have 8 seats.
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google has your answer, several videos that show how and where to do this....
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Adding a fourth row isn't as simple as drilling some holes. There are videos on youtube that make my head explode.

Sorry, with 8 kids, sell the Burb and get a van.

You'll never be 100% confident that the fourth row would provide adequate protection for the kids. What happens if it breaks loose in a collision or rollover? Do you really want to contemplate that?
Old February 9th, 2015, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
Google has your answer, several videos that show how and where to do this....
I have googled it and watched videos, but all the videos were installed with a full bench seat, which I don't want. All I need to know is which car (Tahoe or Yukon), 3rd row seat will also fit as a 3rd row seat in a Suburban? Thanks so much
Old February 9th, 2015, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Adding a fourth row isn't as simple as drilling some holes. There are videos on youtube that make my head explode.

Sorry, with 8 kids, sell the Burb and get a van.

You'll never be 100% confident that the fourth row would provide adequate protection for the kids. What happens if it breaks loose in a collision or rollover? Do you really want to contemplate that?
Sorry I just bought the Suburban last week in order to add the 4th row, so selling it is not an option. And I have thought about safety. The install would be the same as the 1st three rows with installing striker brackets underneath the flooring, so I'm not concerned that it will come loose but thanks for the advice.
Old April 30th, 2015, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

I was thinking of doing a 4th row of rear facing jump seats like in the Volvo wagons. In my searches, I came across this thread here.

I think it is exactly what you were looking for.

Suburban 4th row seating : Trans Am Country

I would like to do something similar but have it facing rear. Not sure if there would still be leg room.

Good luck!
Old April 30th, 2015, 2:17 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default legal issues?

I applaud your work efforts, but if anything happens to anyone in those seats (or you)... what are the legal implications?

No crash testing has been done... no roll over testing, no seat-belt testing, etc.

On the Jeep forum, a lot of people want to add a 3rd row to the 4 door wrangler, but run into concerns with legality/liability/etc.

I'm not saying it cant be done, obviously you can physically bolt anything to anything, I'm just saying be cautious carrying human life in the vehicle.