Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4wd actuator?

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2011, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd actuator?

98 burb 1/2 ton 4wd 120,000 miles

every once in a while at slow speeds like turning in a parking lot, it gets real hard to turn like im in 4wd on pavement ( tires bind up and churp while turning) but i check and the 2wd light is on. the 4wd works fine , it switches in between 2wd,4wd auto,4wd hi, 4wd low fine
could the actuator be messed up or is it a auto hub that is sticking? any ideas?
Old December 12th, 2011, 2:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the steering box. If your 4 wheel drive is switching then I don think it's your actuator. do you know if the truck is actually in 4 wheel drive when your turning? I would try to simulate this by putting the truck on the rack. you could test the switch with a meter and check it's wired connections for any corrosion or wires being loose at there terminal. I never tested an actuator but seems like it only a 4 way switch.

You know, I did know a guy that had this problem. turned out it was the switch in the truck. the solder joints failed in the switch itself. so he got a solder gun and re- beaded the switch the solder joint at the buttons, well under the buttons of the interior switch. his 4 wheel drive would go off , then on. then switch by itself. I think he had a 99 suburban. I would check the wires at the actuator, i mean that switch is under the truck on the 98 right? if you can grab an interior switch and actuator from a junk yard. should not be that expensive , probably 20 bucks. at least you try pin pointing the problem form there at worst you have some extra switches and some time lost installing them.

Last edited by NMguy; December 12th, 2011 at 2:41 AM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know that is in 4 wheel drive when it happens,it just feels like it, the light is on for 2 wheel drive for sure when it happens. the switch is a year old and bought brand new from the stealership.
it operates fine and this only ever happens at low speeds normally when parking. it hasn't done it now in a week or so.