Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

4WD Question

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2017, 8:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4WD Question

I have a 2011 Suburban. I've had it for almost a year, it has about 140k miles on it.
I had some issues with it a while back and had to have the front left wheel hub and the sway bar linkages replaced.

I put it in 4WD last weekend, and found that it has a severe impact on the turning radius. I can't turn nearly as tightly. When I do, it just feels and sounds like I am crushing something.

Is something wrong? Or is this normal? It's perfectly fine if I don't turn tightly. I really only feel this when I'm parking.
Old December 20th, 2017, 9:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What are the road conditions?
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

They were a little icy. We got a few inches of snow earlier in the day, and people were driving on the parking lot all day.
But it's not like it was a huge snow. I think we got 2-3 inches total.
Old December 21st, 2017, 8:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have the transfer case fluid changed if you haven’t already. Double check your owners manual to see you have the correct fluid in it. If you don’t have the owners manual type in your VIN into the VIN checker in the tools section. If you have an Autotrack 4WD system you need Autotrack II fluid. Never believe the previous owner on questions regarding the maintenance they claim they have done. Also, same with the lube in the front axle. Have it changed if you haven’t done so since you bought it. Just my two bits.

SD

Last edited by Suburban Dude; December 21st, 2017 at 8:16 AM.
Old December 21st, 2017, 12:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try this first ! change the transfer case fluid ! if that don't fix it than it might be in the transfer case ! hard turning might be the tires are too low on air !
Old December 21st, 2017, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by bandit_601948
try this first ! change the transfer case fluid ! if that don't fix it than it might be in the transfer case ! hard turning might be the tires are too low on air !
If that's a potential, I can tell you that's it.
My front tires are struggling to stay above 23 psi right now. I fill them almost daily. So I am taking it in tonight to a garage to have them figure out why they won't hold air. (But they never fall below 21 psi.)

Thanks for that!! I feel better now. Hopefully I have 1 problem showing itself in 2 ways!!