Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

6.0 liter suburban stalling?

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 liter suburban stalling?

Hello, you might recognize me as the guy who just bought an 01 suburban with the 6.0 liter motor. I have run accross a small issue. I am hoping like crazy it is not the fuel pump, but it could be. Every once in a while during the day when I start the truck, it stumbles and then stalls. It will do this several times before actually starting and holding its RPM. I plan on changing the fuel filter. Has anyone else had an issue like this with this motor, or is mine unique? I also plan on finding the TPS, an MAP and cleaning them.
Old November 12th, 2006, 3:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6.0 liter suburban stalling?

Tommy other than the obvious check the fuel pressure regulator, if there is fuel in the vacuum hose it is bad and will cause stalling and bad economy.
Bad or clogged injectors also could be source of trouble, run four 16oz bottles Chevron w/Techron cleaner in single tank of gas.

Bad fuel pumps normally cause engine to die and not re-light until it has sat for several minutes or never.

Welcome and thanks for buying GM.

Dave
Old November 12th, 2006, 9:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Loaded up on chevron with techron cleanser as well as MArvels Mystery Oil, it worked wonders in my dodges for lubing and cleaning fuel sysetm, it also helps out a lot if you add it in the crank case, more on that later. Now if someone can tell me where to find the fuel pressure regulator on these trucks that would be super......

Old July 11th, 2007, 7:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to bring up a dead post but I did a search and this is the one I found that is closest to what's happening to my wife's '02 2500 8.1L. She says it only stalls after it has sat overnight or all day at work. Once it warms up (more than 5 miles) it doesn't stall. Today she said it stalled 4 times in a row.

We had the fuel pump replaced at a GM garage about 3 weeks ago. They told me the fuel pump was putting out low pressure (42 psi) and that likely was the problem casuing the stalling. I never went and picked the pump up to verify but these guys have been honest with us for the past 10 years at least. They do quite a bit of business with her family and I don't think they would run the risk of screwing up a great relationship so I don't think they boned us or anything.

I guess I'm wondering if something else could "look" like a bad fuel pump? Iwill check the fuel pressure regulator as soon as I find it! Half tempted to run the cleaner through it too just to see if it helps. Anyone have any other ideas about this? Much appreciated.