Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'88 Suburban Rear Window Issue

Old December 23rd, 2010, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '88 Suburban Rear Window Issue

Greetings.

I just purchased a 1988 Suburban (GMC version) for a winter driver. It is equipped with a tailgate and rear mechanical window. The rear window tracks are damaged (assumption) and the window takes two people to deploy - an extra set of hands to steady / assist the glass. I would like to fix this issue to make the rear door fully operational. Does anyone one the list have any experience or advise on the fix? I am looking for information on parts required and procedures.

Also, I found another '88 locally that has the split rear doors similar to a panel truck. It is being parted out. Anyone have any experience with swapping the tail gate style rear door for the panel truck style rear doors?

Lastly, is this the best forum for information and discussion on the Third Generation (1973-1991) Suburban?

Thanks.

Mike in KY
Old December 23rd, 2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The switching from tailgate to barn doors would most likely require an experienced body man and a lot of money.

As far as the site's competence on '73-'91s, I'd say there probably someone here w/ some experience on them.
Old December 24th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, tailgate to barn doors cant be done. There are hinges on the body for the barn doors that arent on those with tailgates. And there are latches to secure the barn doors closed that arent on those with tailgates.

If the window doesnt go up or down, just replace the regulator and/or window motor. Not hard to get because every large station wagon has the same set up. And the motor is usually the same as the drivers/or passenger side front. You ll have to remove the motor to see which is it. Same as the regulator. I had a Country Squire with that issue a few years ago. I didnt replace the regulator nor motor, I just lubed it EVERYWHERE profusely with bearing grease. The slide, the lift arm, elbows, the teeth in the motor. It worked for me, so you should try it.

I wanted to get the 3rd Generation Burb(preferably a 1976-78 2WD GMC) but I saw what was non-flexible and what I could get what was garbage, so I waited. One guy told me his car he was ready to call the junkyard and thought that would instill confidence in me to rush to buy it. Another one had a 454 in it, but they never answered the phone when I called. And then there was this guy in Philadelphia with a 1991 Burb, who sold the wheels off the car and then wanted you to pick up with no wheels, another "rush to buy my car" guy. Then I located 4 of them within a 100 mile radius of NYC that I would like to see and decided on those. But then a guy where I work had his wife fall into bad health so he wanted to sell his stuff and simplify. So I got his. Thats how I got my 1993.

Last edited by RacerX; December 24th, 2010 at 9:41 AM.