Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2007, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Starter Problems

Hey There!

I'm new to this forum but I'm glad your here. I'm having problems trouble-shooting a starter problem.

A week ago our 96 burb would not start (k1500 5.7l). I turned the key and would just here a click (almost a ping) sound. Naturally I thought it was the starter. So I pulled the original one out (the burb has 115k miles) and took it to Autozone so they could test it. It tested fine. I bought a new one just in case and went home and installed it. Just to be sure I hooked up jumpers to the burb before trying to start it. I was getting a full 12.5v at the battery. Turn the key and the same thing: one clicky pingy sound.

Back to Autozone and bought a Starter Relay--still no go.
I pulled the positive battery cable out, took off the insulation and it is fine (ordered a new one).

Let's recap: New starter, new rely, battery cable is fine. I get 12.5 voltes at the positive switch cable that goes to the selenoid. It is dead when the key is off and hits 12.5 volts when I turn the key to start.

Any ideas what this could be? I've run out of ideas.

Thanks in advance,

Bigbob
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 96 Starter Problems

When your parts test good but you decide to replace them anyway "just in case", please just ship the old stuff to me and I will be happy to dispose of it for you.
Old November 20th, 2007, 6:02 AM
CF Junior Member

how about the solenoid plus make sure ground ts real good where it connects to motor sometimes u can get a 12 volt reading but when u put it under a load it breaks down
Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

kudos on mr. pauls reply. Another thing i've seen a couple times (but only on an old piece of ford) is that if the starter isn't lined up just right with the flywheel, the gears will lock up as soon as it hits the flywheel.
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Did you check to see if the motor will turn? If so ground cable could bad.

[/align]
Old December 6th, 2007, 9:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forum Bigbob!!!!!
Old December 13th, 2007, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

[align=left]Had the same problem on a '99. I went through three store bought starters before I found one (upgraded, paid more) that worked. The clicky pingy sound on mine was the starter throwing the bendix but it didn't have enough "umph" to turn over the engine. Turns out, the parts store I was getting them from told my mechanic it was a bad lot of starter motors. Due to the age of the truck ('99 with 160k+ miles) I didn't want to spend too much money, so I was getting a cheap starter. Ended up getting an OEM one for $100 more but the parts store ate it for selling me three bad ones along the way. Was not a problem again until I traded.[/align]