Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

96 suburban 5.7 vortec problems

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2016, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 suburban 5.7 vortec problems

I'm new to the forum and have owned my suburban for almost 10 years now. I have had no problems with it until recently. I replaced the water pump 6 months ago. Then 5 weeks ago, i had to replace the lower intake gaskets. After replacing the gaskets... I started it up and checked for leaks, no found and it fired right up, no hesitation, no long cranking. It fired with out missing a beat. The next day I try to go to work. I get 10 feet out of the driveway and it starts running rough. I never had the ignition set to spec after the gasket change, but it still fires by bumping the key. All new cap, rotor, wires and plugs... no change. Ran 40 gallons of fuel with Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner... no change. I let it sit for a week over Christmas and the rough idle was hardly noticeable until i drove it for a couple days... then back to rough idle and poor acceleration. Did the carb cleaner trick around both manifolds at all gaskets and bolts... no change in the idle. So i bought a cheap pocket scanner and this is what it showed me...

P0155, P0161, P0300, P0441, P1345, Misfire, Fuel, Comp, Catalyst, o2 sensor, o2 HTR, EGR

In that order. I know what the codes are, but not sure what the words mean for the I/M monitors besides that they are ready according the scanner manual. I dont want to just start trowing parts at it and was wondering if anyone new what all these codes together would point to?? Thanks!
Old January 17th, 2016, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Check timing.
Old January 17th, 2016, 9:08 PM
CF Active Member

My guess is the sock filter on the fuel pump pickup, that or something in the bottom of the fuel tank. Water is heavier than fuel and will settle in the bottom of tank. You probably should start with new OEM AC DELCO pump, and drain the tank completely. JMHO and good luck.
David g.