Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 burban will only run with gas tank on the ground

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 burban will only run with gas tank on the ground

hey got a 97 burban that im having problems with. about a year ago my stereo quit working, recently i lost a low beam light, then lost the other, now have one back. my air blows on high no matter what i do with the control. i put new fuel lines on, new sending unit, and new fuel pump. my truck ran fine after i hooked everything up with the tank on the ground. i strapped the tank up in the truck and it wont start. the fuel pump is not turning on when the tank is up. i have checked fuel pressure and i have 0 at the rail. took the tank out, checked the sending unit harness and it was as it should be. i dont know if its a bad ground or if the wires coming from the sending unit harness are getting pinched causing it to not work when the tank is up. had the tank in and out 3 times with the same results everytime. getting frustrating and all my gurus are too busy to give me a hand. any ideas? i mentioned all the electrical stuff at the begging bc theres a chance its related? maybe some bad wires somewhere that all of those issues can be tied to? i have checked and replaced my relays, all fuses are good. battery connections are clean but not as tight as id like bc the battery terminals are stripped. i have 2 batterys. idk if it was a police truck or some kind of work truck before i got it but it has some extra wires under the hood, it has a solenoid attatched to the inside fender wall on the pass side. any help would be appreciated, ive got a bunch of money into it recently and it kills me sitting in the driveway everyday.
Old August 1st, 2019, 7:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 344 Likes on 325 Posts

If it runs on the ground but not when the tank is installed, I would look at the wires going to the fuel pump. There must be a bad wire in there that loses connection when it is put in position. Probably in the connector plug.
Old August 6th, 2019, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 97 stranded me back when it was new, had to go to three different dealers. All replaced the fuel pump but the last one also fixed the ground at the pump.

Crazy this could still be a problem. I have over 20 yrs on my current fuel pump, yeah same 97 sub