Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Suburban bottem end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old November 16th, 2010, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Suburban bottem end rebuild

Alright, just picked up a 97 Suburban and its got a pretty bad knock when the engine has a load, pretty much whenever im driving..

Im pretty sure that its got a spun bearing so im about to pull the motor and rebuild it.

I really cant seem to find any service manual for it, or really anything about what parts im going to need. I know what i need in general, but there seem to be so many different 350 engines i want to make sure i get the right gasket set and rod/main bearings.

Ill have to see if the crank or rod from whichever one has gone bad is messed up and then find a new one or have it ground down.

Im really just looking for any kind of specifics i could be looking for online to find more info about this engine and maybe some torque specs for main/rod bolts and all that stuff..

Just rebuilt a Nissan KA24DE and found full walkthroughs and Service manuals...

I tried searching but just couldnt find anything about this specific engine..
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 165 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to do the rebuild yourself, probably should get the Chevy Rebuild/Overhaul manual for the year and model. Can get from Helm.
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds good. Ill pick one up.

Pulled the motor out today and pulled the pan off.
Checked all the rod bearings and they look perfectly fine. So im thinking that it might be the wrist pins or one of the rods..

Is there anything else i should do or upgrade while i have this motor all torn apart?
Old November 18th, 2010, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

HAynes manual for that truck has an overhaul section.

You might look on ebay for a rebuilt short block and pile your heads, intake, water pump, etc. on. You might find a good running, complete motor at a scrap yard for a fraction of the cost of the proper machine work, gaskets, time, etc. involved with a rebuild.