Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 Suburban need key and rear end info!!

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2014, 11:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 Suburban need key and rear end info!!

Howdy!

Im a honest Dodge guy, but i find myself here at a Chevy forum becuase im hoping to get info on a vehicle that i hope wont empty my wallet as fast as my ram does. LOL

I recently got a 97 Burban'. Its in excellent condition other than the fact that the passenger side wheel fell off and the previous owner took the keys and lost them. it has the 5.4L Vortech i think, the fancy leather interior and all the bells and whistles.

Info i need.

it lost the tire at 200K. its at 200.1 K miles now. It has no leaks and fluids are clean.. Can it still still be a reliable commute vehicle?

can the Rear end be swapped or fixed easily? It lost the whole mounting and break assembly when it lost the tire.

and lastly, what must i buy to get it running? a new key and ignition? do i have to program the key for theft lock? It has a aftermarket radio.. But i was told it needs a new Body control module and computer to match they key..

and is it possible to get this thing going for under 1K??

Thanks!

Old June 26th, 2014, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H. Should be a 5.7l motor. You should be able to change your ignition cylinder and be fine. It was done for about $50 on a 1/2 ton chevy truck of a similar style. As far as getting her running to be reliable, I'd recommend plugs, wires, distributor. Have your intake gaskets inspected and maybe even just changed. They're known to leak coolant. I've done this work on my 5.7l vortec 350.