Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

97 tahoe head gasket

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2010, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 tahoe head gasket

I just finished doing head gaskets (felpro kit) on my tahoe. Heads were checked resurfaced and checked for cracks. All said and done and I started it up and it blew quite a bit of white smoke out the exhaust. There was pink/clear water or moisture coming out the drain hole in the muffler. Anyone have any ideas? Anything will help. Thank you.
Old November 30th, 2010, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White Smoke = Coolant.
-It is normal for water to come out of the hole of the muffler. The hole is there for the lowest point of the muffler and there is so much heat going on in the exhaust pipe that moisture develops and water is formed. That hole is there so it leaks out so it doesn't keep building up and add more restriction.
-When you got your heads checked, did they make sure that they are straight? Even if you change the head gaskets, the problem may exist in the head itself that they are warped.
-The reason that your getting white smoke out of the exhaust is that coolant is getting into one of your cylinders. The only thing i can think of is that the head is warped if you already changed the head gaskets. Pull out each individual plug and see if the color of your coolant, orange,green, etc is present. I wouldn't keep driving the truck if you are. With extreme heats and coolant keep entering the cylinder, liquid lock can occur and the connecting rods can warp.