Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 3:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

98 tahoe misfire?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 5:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys just another update with (pics). How do you like your Spider's Crispy Fried I hope. LMAO well here they are tell me if you can find the culprit in this mess. anyways parts will be here in about a week getting them from Checker Auto Parts for $235.00. the Dealer wanted $608.54 before Tax I told them they could keep them lol. One more thing will that Injector cleaner get all of the carbon out of the intake or will i have to get that out before i put the thing back together.
Attached Thumbnails 98 tahoe misfire?-0106101326a.jpg   98 tahoe misfire?-0106101331a.jpg   98 tahoe misfire?-0106101330a.jpg   98 tahoe misfire?-0106101331b.jpg  

Last edited by simpsonracing; January 6th, 2010 at 5:18 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

simpsonracing, you might try to clean out as much as you can before putting everything back together, tho i would plug every single hole with something, like paper towels, small pieces of rags, something to prevent any of the chunks from gettin into the motor. after everything back together, use the cleaner as directed, should be good to go.
Old March 19th, 2010, 8:53 PM
CF Veteran

Default Update: Slight hiccup

so after all my battling, got this 'hoe running great. had to make a run to airport last night to pick up my son's grandma, and had a few minute hiccup with her. i suspect fuel pump, even tho it was replaced. tho replaced with non delco one. here's the question: is it possible the fuel pump could act up intermittently, or after being run for a period of time? had to wait at airport, so shut rig off, short time later started it up, ran fine. had always thought electric pumps either worked or they didn't.
Old March 20th, 2010, 9:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Normaly Fuel pumps either work or dont theres never really slow deterioration. I have had a problem with the fuel line that runs from the pickup to the pump before though. If that hose (which is only about 2 inches long) either gets a crack like mine did or has a hole in it then it will cause the fuel pump to pour fuel back into the tank or cause a vacume leak in the tank causing the pump to suck air. If you have checked all fuel lines, filter, injectors, and put in a new pump, then start checking wires that run to the pump. If thats not it then timing might be off a little. Mine has a timming issue that i cant resolve right now because of finances but it does basically the same thing. Do you hear any pinging from it like (Pre Detonation) if so then theres a good chance its timing. If you have messed with the injection or Distributor at all then it will cause the injection to run out of Sync with the Cam and Crank causing the same result. Also if you get on the freeway put the thing in Cruise control and see if it still has the hicup if it does then the truck has a mis in one of the cylinders. Its what my Burb did right before the injection unit went bad. This may be the result of the fuel pressure regulator going bad. Check fuel pressure and bleed off after you shut the ignition off. If it bleeds off quickly then check the regulator. The regulator went out on my Burb and took the injection unit with it. It really sounds to me from your other posts like its the same problem i had. It starts to annoy you because of the mis but if you dont get it fixed its gonna get bad quick. One more thing quick fuel pressure bleed off can also be the hose running from the pickup to the fuel pump. But please before you go any farther check pressure. I neglected to do that and i was in my Burb more than 5 big ones after it was all said and done. Hope this helps.
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

just replace both head gaskets, intake gaskets, put the mfi conversion spider in place of the old injection spider, timing is dead on (had it checked at dealer) i used a non delco pump, and from what i've heard, not a good choice. it came as an entire assembly. i did change the wire harness with it too. i did find a delco pump, just the pump, for decent price, so i'll probably swap that, then put a new relay in. i will check that hose you mentioned tho, just to make sure. fuel pressure is normal. no pinging since gaskets replaced. runs great, just had this one few minute hiccup.
Old April 7th, 2012, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Default 98 tahoe misfire?

Hey maxxman04 -- I have a 96 Tahoe with almost same problems you discussed in this thread - chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/98-tahoe-misfire-28902/ -- did you ever get it fixed? My mechanic told me it was transmission. Transmission shop put in a rebuilt -- same problem was not fixed. Now my truck is back at mechanics - he has had it for a week scratching his head. Keeps saying it is all caused by carbon build up and ethanol fuel. I am mighty frustrated. Any help would be mighty appreciated.