Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99' Burb Power Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' Burb Power Door Locks

Have a 99' Suburban with failing power door lock actuators. Two were working and two new ones were purchased. The driver's side front door being the biggest problem. This actuator was replaced only to find that it has no problem locking the door but will not unlock. Passenger side front works great and will go both ways regardless of which switch is used. Both wires to the driver's side door have good continuity to the switch and again, the switch works the other doors just fine. Volt meter indicates that one wire (lt. brown) appears to not show the same voltage jump when actuating to unlock as the other does when actuating in the lock direction (which works like a charm). I figure these work using reverse polarity and that there is a bad connection somewhere. Since both switches (front driver and passenger) work the other locks in both directions, where would I look to find the problem that is results in not being able to get the actuator to unlock the driver door?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 99' Burb Power Door Locks

I am experincing this as well, but it seems to be getting weak power supply to all doors. They fully lock/unlock after you've hit the switch once already. The first press works, but subsequent attempts act as though its got a lack of power.

I haven't even begun troubleshooting yet...not sure where to begin. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old May 27th, 2007, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

same problem...'99 burb general sluggishness on power lock/unlock.

seems like it locks reasonably well, rarely unlocks.

barn door seems to lock and unlock ok.

any thoughts on this issue being some sort of mechanical / worn parts / lube issue rather than electrical ??
Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:17 PM
BTD
CF Beginner

Same problem w/ a '99 Tahoe. All locks work fine the first time (either remote or either door switch). Second attempt within a few seconds is weak but usually works. Third attempt a few seconds latter neither door locks or unlocks but the barn door works fine. Wait a couple of minutes and everything works fine (at least the first time).
I've checked the relay and it's ok. All fusesare OK. Also, the barn door switch (mounted on pillar next to the right barn door) always works.
It's almost like the battery runs down with each attempt...except the battery is fine.
Has anybody figured this out yet?
Old December 6th, 2007, 9:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pasouza

Have a 99' Suburban with failing power door lock actuators. Two were working and two new ones were purchased. The driver's side front door being the biggest problem. This actuator was replaced only to find that it has no problem locking the door but will not unlock. Passenger side front works great and will go both ways regardless of which switch is used. Both wires to the driver's side door have good continuity to the switch and again, the switch works the other doors just fine. Volt meter indicates that one wire (lt. brown) appears to not show the same voltage jump when actuating to unlock as the other does when actuating in the lock direction (which works like a charm). I figure these work using reverse polarity and that there is a bad connection somewhere. Since both switches (front driver and passenger) work the other locks in both directions, where would I look to find the problem that is results in not being able to get the actuator to unlock the driver door?
Welcome to the forum BTD
Old December 6th, 2007, 4:52 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I'd suggest checking the integrity of any connectors between the battery and lock actuators.
Old December 13th, 2007, 1:56 PM
CF Beginner

I just traded a '99 LT for an '08 LTZ as the third Burb I've had. I had same problem but it wasn't electrical. I thought it was and maybe the actuator needed to be replaced. Luckily, I inadvertantly snapped off the inside door handle and after replacing that, the power lock never was a problem again. Same thing on a rear passenger door. Went straight to the replacement handle and that solved the power lock problem. You may have checked this already, but that was my experience.
Old January 8th, 2008, 9:11 PM
CF Junior Member

I have the same prob with my sub. In the morning when I use the remote to open the sub, no problem! After I have driven around for a while, I lock it with the remote, no problem! When I go to reopen the doors with the remote, nothing! just my flashing marker lights as usual. I have to open the passenger side door with the key(which makes me look like a gentleman, and she appreciates it!)Drivers door lock is unfunctionable. No biggy for me, but would also like to figure out why.
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Having similar problem with my 99 Suburban - after sitting for a while all door locks will open or close on first try ... 2nd or 3rd try rear locks just twitch and don’t lock or open. After a few more tries front locks stop working altogether and you just hear the relay clicking under the dash. Supposedly, rear actuators were replaced recently by somebody else. I found a description of how to troubleshoot the relay on another site - said to check if the blue and grey wires had power with door lock swith depressed - they do, but with switch not pressed, they are grounded. Is this what should be happening, or does this indicate a bad relay or a grounding problem somewhere else? Or is there something else I'm missing? Thx
Old September 12th, 2009, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Question 99 sub door locks

same problem...'99 burb general sluggishness on power lock/unlock.

seems like it locks reasonably well, rarely unlocks.

barn door seems to lock and unlock ok.

any thoughts on this issue being some sort of mechanical / worn parts / lube issue rather than electrical ??[/quote]