Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Chevy Sub brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2018, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Chevy Sub brake Controller

So I have a 99 Chevy SubK1500 LS with Tow package etc. The original owner used to haul a Huge trailer filled with horses. When I got it, it had no more 7 blade hook up, brake controller, just the added HD options. So I wired up a new 7 blade with existing wires. Until recently I finally was able to pick up a Hopkins brake controller. Am I able to plug and play this thing in directly up, and if so where do I plug it in? Am I able to use a 2000 to 03 brake controller wire or do I have to get a specific or do I have to hardwire it in some how. I can’t seem to find any videos on “tow packaged” enabled Subs just the non tow package subs that require all the extra wiring. the guy instead of wiring or fixing the factory fogs, hooked up a toggle switch to the wiring, and than took the lights, but left a Chevy 12 disk cd changer and his satalite radio equipment. Idk.
Old December 27th, 2018, 1:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

When we got our 1988 and 1994 Suburbans (used), I had to add an aftermarket brake controller for Mrs. cusser's horse trailer. I wired these up directly to the battery positive with an in-line circuit breaker, back to the trailer socket.

Her current 2005 Yukon already had an aftermarket brake controller in it when we bought that in 2010.
Old December 28th, 2018, 5:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

This seems to be a video on installing on a tow package-equipped truck...