Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban Leaking fluid, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2012, 4:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by puterg33k
Ok, I'll try pulling out the spark plug. Only, I don't know how, I'm amusing by the videos I watched I'll need a socket and extension.

How long, what size, and is there any special trick to getting this done?|

P.S..> Haven't done the oil yet, wife has the oil pan in the car

Also, another question. Is it plausible to stick a small 'spy like camera' into the spark plug hole to try to detect what the inside of the piston housing looks like? I would imagine if there were rust in there, that might be an indicative of coolant getting inside? ***Long shot I know, but coming from someone that don't know jack***

Thanks again,
-Frank
The spark plug will tell alot. If you have a scope, use it. You'll need a 5/8 spark plug socket with extension. If you have an autozone or napa, get that tool from there it will have a universal on the deep socket.
Old August 9th, 2012, 8:42 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I know that there are some on this forum that advise against sealers but in dealing w/ 10+ year old, hi-mileage vehicles in the past I've had very good results w/ Barr's Stop Leak. But I've never used it for a head gasket problem. And never had it plug a radiator or heater core while it stop leaks in the same.
Old August 10th, 2012, 5:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe we had some 'friend mechanic' dump two bottles of stop leak in it already. I'd hate to clog the engine.
Old August 10th, 2012, 8:21 AM
CF Senior Member

There is a quick disconnect on the front left side of the intake manifold that it could leak from also the intake manifold gaskets are known to leak on these engines i would clean the area and try to pin point it a little closer
Old August 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Will do, just changed the oil. Absolutely ZERO water/antifreeze in the oil. Which I presume is a good thing....

I'll buy some crap to spray on the engine to clean it up, I couldn't get a hold of the spark plug on #2 yet. I think I need to buy tools
Old August 11th, 2012, 12:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah sounds like a head gasket. they aren't all that hard but time consuming if your not practiced and it sounds like your not, so I wouldn't recommend doing all that. I can't imagine it's 2k at a shop tho. I guess it depends on your area.

I think 99's are clear of the famous leaking manifold gasket. My 90 uses water because it's losing it down the back of the block. doesn't hit the ground, doesn't burn it, and ain't getting in the oil. but that would get replaced doing a head gasket anyhow...

I've used bars leak for radiators. I've seen the head gasket in a bottle stuff, but have never used it. I would like to point out tho that regardless if it works or not, it's only a temp deal... As I'm sure your aware, run that motor low enough on water and it'll cook it.

edit: no water in the oil is a very good thing.

good luck!

:chug:
Old August 11th, 2012, 5:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a freeze plug in the head that rusted out. To fix that you have to remove the head, so not better.
Old August 12th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Are there freeze plugs in the heads now?
Old August 12th, 2012, 4:03 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Are there freeze plugs in the heads now?
I left that alone.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Administrator

I'm always looking to learn.

Quick Reply: 99 Suburban Leaking fluid, need advice!