Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 Suburban - Lights wont turn off! - Driving me stark raving nuts! - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2011, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 99 Suburban - Lights wont turn off! - Driving me stark raving nuts! - Please help!

I have a 99 Suburban. I believe the car alarm went off whilst I was at work. Now the rear lights stay on , the hazzard lights stay on (not flashing but on) and the buzzer is going off permenently and I can't figure out how to turn them off! I have now disconnectd the battery in despair.

Does anyone have any idea what would make this happen? The lights remain on whether the car is running or not and whether the ignition is on or off. I have tried manually locking/unlocking the drivers side door. I do not have a key fob style key (bought the car used and it dodn't come with one). Any ideas before my inclination to engage my sledge hammer gets the better of me?

Thanks Mark
Old November 19th, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so if you hook the battery back up it does the same thing?

:chug:
Old November 19th, 2011, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, if I hook the battery back up it does exactly the same thing. I have actually had it disconnected for days at a time. I'm not driving the suburban at the moment becasue I can't afford to park it and have the battery discharge whilst I am out (and having to disconnect the battery every time I park it somewhere isn't paractical of course).
Thanks Mark
Old November 19th, 2011, 5:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and you've got the switch to off right? does that have automatic headlights and whatnot? if it's constantly making a noise with the key out that would seem to indicate that the park lights are left on... maybe the switch has gone bad or something.

:chug:
Old November 20th, 2011, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Fixed! Thank you for your help.

hicksvilleshick, The switch was off but I checked it as you suggested. The orange and brown wires had aftermarket wires attached to them leading down to a 10 Amp fuze which was ziptied to other wires by the steering column. I removed the fuze and low and behold, the parking lights turned off and the buzzer was silenced! I checked all the lights with that fuze removed and everything is working correctly.

I have absolutely no idea why that fuze was put there or what it's intended purpose was or why it suddenly started getting the problem (Ive owned the car for a year without this issue occuring before).

Thanks you so much for taking the time to respond. Problem solved. Your help very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mark
Old November 20th, 2011, 5:32 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Mark: Welcome to the forum.

By any chance does it have an aftermarket alarm system?
Old November 20th, 2011, 10:58 PM
CF Active Member

Makes me wonder if it has an alarm system that was accidentally turned on in the parking lot by someone locking their own car that just happened to use the same key fob code.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

I don't believe there is an aftermarket alarm fitted (I see no evidence of one) but I didn't buy the car new and I suppose it could be hidden away somewhere. Also, I should clarify, I was at work when this happend to the car, but the car was at home, so I 'think" what happened is that something triggered the alarm, but I'm not certain. These lights were on when I got home, there was no signs of someone having tried to break into the car though. Lights have not come back on and car seems to be fine now. I still have no idea why that extra fuze was fitted but ....one of the pitfalls of buing used I guess.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum
Mark