Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 suburban steering jerks or kicks

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2013, 7:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its most likely the sensor on the steering column...I had the same issue on my 97... I had it repaired so I don't have all the details of its location...
Old March 20th, 2013, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a warn pitman arm or idler arm.
Old May 31st, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

my 99 burb has the same problem, ill be driving straight down the road and all of a sudden it will be like someone jerked the wheel to the left/right (usually to the left) it's very disconcerting especially at highway speeds. I was originally thinking it was the steering assist but it happens when I am holding the wheel perfectly straight,. I have had the steering box replaced with brand new and it still happens. plus the steering wheel has about 2 inches of play side to side before the wheels move. im thinking rag joints and possibly intermediate shaft on mine... does that sound right to anybody? ... isn't there an upgrade using a jeep Cherokee shaft to eliminate the rag joints for u-joints? if so can someone link me to that I have been searching
Old April 15th, 2018, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

ebacon - did you ever identify the problem? I have the exact same symptoms, must be somewhat common with the GMCs
Old December 2nd, 2018, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Hey ebacon! did you find the problem on the steering ?
My 98 daily driver has had that going on.
Any help would be so appreciated.
Thanks
DeanO
Old December 3rd, 2018, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

DeanO - I ended up replacing the steering assist sensor on the steering column and fixed my issue. Was not hard to replace either. I purchased mine from GMPARTSGARAGE.COM for $60 total cost. Part number i used was 26064468 on my 1999 K1500 Suburban.
Old December 5th, 2018, 1:06 AM
CF Beginner

I had this problem for a couple of years on my 1999 Tahoe. It was the steering sensor. It felt like a jerk or a gust of wind once in a while. The sensor is a donut like device that goes round the steering column, it relays information to the power steering unit somehow.

My tire shop pulled the steering wheel and installed a new sensor. It cost about $150 and was well worth it. Problem was gone and my car drove like new !!!

Hope this helps
Old January 5th, 2024, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Steering jerks

Originally Posted by warbird1
my 99 burb has the same problem, ill be driving straight down the road and all of a sudden it will be like someone jerked the wheel to the left/right (usually to the left) it's very disconcerting especially at highway speeds. I was originally thinking it was the steering assist but it happens when I am holding the wheel perfectly straight,. I have had the steering box replaced with brand new and it still happens. plus the steering wheel has about 2 inches of play side to side before the wheels move. im thinking rag joints and possibly intermediate shaft on mine... does that sound right to anybody? ... isn't there an upgrade using a jeep Cherokee shaft to eliminate the rag joints for u-joints? if so can someone link me to that I have been searching
mine does that too. Did you ever figure it out?
Old January 5th, 2024, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana2
mine does that too. Did you ever figure it out?
warbird hasn't visited the forum in over a decade. He won't reply so please don't revive old posts.
Please start your own thread (hit the "New thread" button), and provide all your vehicle details and the troubleshooting you tried. Thanks.