Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 suburban tries to start when off.

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2018, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 suburban tries to start when off.

Hi everyone I’m new to the site and I could find anything like this so here it goes. I’ll post some pictures in the morning if I can. Bought a 99 suburban, the guy who had it before the guy I bought it from install a chip like secondary key. If the chip is not plugged in the car won’t start, this is fine. However if you leave the chip in and you turn the lock cylinder steering wheel lock it with crank and try to start. All the chip modual as I could see after much searching was what I believe is a hot wire cut running in and out of a relay with various wires running to where you plug in the “chip” and a ground running from the chip to the chosen ground spot. I removed the whole “chip” modual and put the cut wires back together and it didn’t solve the issue so I put it back the way I found it. Any ideas? Also when the steering wher is locked and the chip and key are out I’ll come back and the dash will turn itself on. Please help I’m thinking the ignition switch and cylinder housing/sensor. I already tried changing the cylinder and it did not fix the problem so I put the old one back.