Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 tahoe antitheft

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2009, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 tahoe antitheft

I recently bought a 99 Chevrolet tahoe ls model. The owner lost the keys so i bought a used steering column with a key after getting it put in the truck wont start. I can hear it fire and it will run for 2 seconds, or run really weak then kill out. The exhaust smells of gas, So it is getting gas correctly. This thing has on both windows antitheft system. the guy i bought it from said he had a lumina and it did the same thing after he replaced the steering column, he explaind the anti theft system cuts out the fuel pump, But it seems to me it wouldnt even fire at all. I know with fords they have a chip in the key but this one dosnt seem to have a chip. Could replacing the steering column have activated the antitheft? The gm dealer told me it wouldnt even fire if the antitheft was activated but ive had a few other people tell me i need to reprogram the anti theft system to the new steering column. Anyone have any input or ideas?

Is there anyway i can repogram the anti theft without bringing it to a shop or messing the the diagnostic port?

Last edited by rabid85; April 14th, 2009 at 8:00 PM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 8:15 PM
CF Active Member

The passlock 2 is built into the ingition cylider. It must be relearned to the BCM. When the BCM gets its passlock relearn, it will send a, "all is ok to start" signal to the ecm/pcm. The PCM/ECM will then turn on injectors and the coils/spark. There is a way to relearn passlock manually (30 minute learn) or you can take it to the dealer and they can flash the BCM to relearn passlock (takes 10 min to relearn).
Old April 14th, 2009, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by charlie pachanga
The passlock 2 is built into the ingition cylider. It must be relearned to the BCM. When the BCM gets its passlock relearn, it will send a, "all is ok to start" signal to the ecm/pcm. The PCM/ECM will then turn on injectors and the coils/spark. There is a way to relearn passlock manually (30 minute learn) or you can take it to the dealer and they can flash the BCM to relearn passlock (takes 10 min to relearn).
how do i do the relearn procedure?
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I Think ive got it. I used the manual 30 min route, what i did
Turned ignition on, moved key up to start (didnt start) let key rest in the ignition on position
Waited 10 mins, The Security light blinking the whole time, Finally after 10 mins on the dot the security light stayed red for around 3 seconds, Then went off.
I then moved the key back to the off position and waited 5 seconds.
I repeated this 3 times on the 3rd go the security light went off and didnt come back on. Truck started right up. First time ive heard it run since i bought it.

It was late so i didnt take the truck for a spin yet but tommrow morning hopefully itll start up again. Does anyone know if this is a permanent fix? Or will it go wacky again when i least expect it?