Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

AC troubleshooting 2001 Tahoe LT 5.3

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC troubleshooting 2001 Tahoe LT 5.3

Hi! I'm new here, and tried to search on the web and this forum. Recently purchased my 2001 tahoe LT. Previous owner informed me that the AC didn't work. Living in Norway, so this isn't a big problem yet, during winter. Anyone know about common ac-problems/solutions on this one? AC-light is on, but nothing happens. Looking forward to some good feedback.
Rune
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Does the compressor run? Your best bet is to take it to a reputable shop and have the system checked. Probably have a leak that needs attention. Our '05 had an evaporator core leak ($1,000 fix). When it gets too low the system shuts off to protect the compressor. As smarter guys here will tell you, DO NOT put any sealants in your a/c system. Often don't fix the problem and then a shop won't work on your system,
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

somethings require an a/c machine to verify...charge level, high and low side pressures.

you can check the a/c compressor to see if it cycles on. the compressor relay to see if it clicks on and off. some people jumper the low pressure switch briefly to force the compressor on to verify the compressor works and the system is low on pressure.

the system will probably be inhibited from working for any length of time at low temp/pressures maybe 7*C or lower...this is a design feature built in to prevent evaporator icing.
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for fast answers guys! I'll look more into this later this week. I'll update.
Old December 18th, 2016, 5:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had to replace most moving parts on my '01 system - compressor and clutch. Then, after I thought I was done with repairs, the freaking tensioner pulley seized and snapped the belt. In July. In traffic outside Chicago. On the first day of a road trip to Wisconsin. Was not happy.